NeedlessKane

May 31, 2005
Hello everyone.

I've got my eye on an '89 CR250 and i was wondering what you guys thought about that year, and if there are any particular faults that were specific to that year, or anything I should look for. The price is right, and I'm considering about purchasing, but wanted some feedback from the experts first :)

The bike has been well used, and I plan on doing a complete engine rebuild, as well as everything else. It's more of a project bike for me than anything.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

NKane

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
They were decent bikes. The fork oil tended to get dirty quickly - its not a big problem, just change it once or twice a year or so.

The powervalves were a pretty good design, but like anything are prone to getting dirtied up and stuck which can lead to more problems. Make sure they are in good shape and clean when you do your top end re-build.

I wouldn't spen the money to re-build the crank unless it really needs it. If its tight there is no sense in re-placeing it.

I don't know of any specific faults, but here are a few common problem areas for mx bikes in general

1 rear suspension linkage/swingarm/shock bearings - they tend to get dry and then quickly go bad. If there is play (up and down or side to side) in the swingarm with the bike on a center stand, at least one bearing and probably more are bad.

2. Steering head bearing - same as above, but check for play by trying to move the forks, if there is play, the bearings are either bad or mis-adjusted or both.

3. fork seals - usually don't last longer than 2-years. Should replace bushings, wipers and seals at the same time. Look for signs of leakage.

Often overlooked maintance items:

blead brakes.

re-grease all chassie bearings

lube brake caliper slide pins

set float level in carb

clean fuel filter in tank (attached to fuel petcock)

good luck and have fun:)

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Don't forget to replace the steering head bearings and toss the old brke lines and cables, then buy up some replacement plastic even if you don't need it. Acerbis just discontinued thier 89 honda plastic.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
An 89' model is pretty old so as with any bike that old it needs a thorough going over as bikepilot suggested...Simple do it yourself stuff...Even if the bike is selling for a real low price IMHO it would be better to wait a couple of months and save up a little more change and get something a few years newer..... As far as how good that model year for Honda was you could do alot worse...The 89' CR250 won every magazine shootout...That era from 89' to 96 Honda had a good reputation for very strong power...

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
In my experence, unless you get a very low hours or brand new bike, you will need to do the same amount of work to get a 89 in good shape as say, a 96. All the items I listed will typically be tost in 2 years or less unless its been maintained much better than the average dirt bike.

good luck:)

HOTLEAD

Jun 23, 2008
89 cr 250

Well i had alot of different bikes over the years,and this one is the only bike i ever had,rode,then sold without putting money into! Very reliable bike, a little hard to start for me....i was only 17 and 140lbs...lol...needless to say this bike took me on some wild rides!!! Never had one problem with it except one time my buddie thought he would get a little fancy and got bucked off.....the bike ran itself up the side of a rough embankment..flipped out into the air spinning like a frisbie about 12feet off the ground then came down on the ground flat....only damage was the clutch adjustment up by the lever perfectly rideable...haha as for my buddie,not so much...lol

Top Bottom