devries

Aug 9, 2001
If anyone knows what the stock clip position on the needle jet is could you let me know...also what is a good setting to have your air scew at.I know that you have to fine tune your air screw to your engines liking, but i wana make sure I am in the ball-park to begin with. .....and this is just a general question about needle jets, If the clip position is wrong on the needle jet, could this prevent the bike from starting at all?

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Check your reeds - they are a common reason for hard starting CRs. #3 or #2 (from top) should be good on clip. Depends on altitude and temp - start with #3 and go to #2 if it's too fat. 55 pilot is stock.

singletracker500

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
All above info is correct.

I agree with Kiwi. Check your reeds. Make sure they lay flat, and are not chipped.

Stock clip position is 4th groove from the bottom.

One more thing to try first. Disconnect your kill switch. They are known to short out.

singletracker500

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
Just follow the wire down from the button. You'll run into a connector that just pulls apart.

Let me ask you, is this the first 500 you've had. I remember when I bought my first one, ('91 CR) I had a real hard time starting it. So much so, that I thought I'd made a big mistake buying it. But it wasn't the bike at all. As a matter of fact, the bike started easy, I just didn't know how to start it.

If it is your first one, try this.

First put a new plug in it. Then, choke on, and make sure you don't give it any gas as you're kicking it. I like to hold my front brake with a couple of fingers. That way I know I can't accidently turn the throttle while I'm kicking. Get the kick lever up as high as you can, and give it a good strong kick. It should start in 4 to 6 kicks cold.

When it's warm, no choke, and give it about 1/3 throttle as you kick it. It should start on the first kick.

I hope this helps.

devries

Aug 9, 2001
this is the second 500 that I have aquired.....my first 500 (in pieces but i still have it) was a 1986 kx 500 , so I have lots of worn out shoes from that damn kick starter:D.
thanks for the advice on the kill switch..I'll give'r a try tommorow, but I think that the engine is not getting a good spark...or the timing is off.
I kick it over about 5or 6 times and it lets out a loud bang (Just the pipe on with no silencer). The next few kicks do the same thing, but after that the plug gets covered in gas and I'm back to square one.

Top Bottom