dpaxson

Sep 30, 2006
Hi
i just bought a used 1996 cr 125 a couple days ago, and of course i just trusted the guy and didn't check everything on the bike. The bike started up fine so i thought everything was fine. Then today i was bored and decided to check out all the other aspects of the bike. so i put the bike in gear, pulled in the clutch and tried to kick the starter. the bike started to move forward so i used the front brake to stop the bike. With the brakes on it was really hard to move the starter with the bike in gear and the clutch pulled in. I know i've seen people start bikes in gear with the clutch pulled in so i'm pretty sure something's messed up. Also it's about 5º where i am so that could have something to do with it. Any suggestions on what the problem is would be appreciated

Jan 3, 2007
If it is 5 out there then it will need to idle and warm up befor the clutch with engauge. My old bike ushally stalls the first 2 or 3 times i let out the clutch because it is not warmed up. Let is idle for awile and then try.(awile is 2 to 5 mins.)

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Doesn't sound like a problem... It would be wise to start the bike in nuetral. At 5oF the clutch oil viscosity is up thus the boundary layer of the oil between the plates is "thicker" for lack of a better description. The oil wants to stick to the fiber/steel surfaces which presents a viscous drag which can relate to power required to turn. Thus, even with the cluth pulled in the drag remains high opposed to normal operating temps. In cold whether we start the bike (nuetral), make an attempt to get the engine warm and lightly fan the clutch to get the plates to "shear" the oil.. term descriping the oil movement against itself, this imparts heat, the heat reduces the viscosity and when the side cover is somewhat warm your good to go. Should your plans be to actually ride in cold temps I might suggest scrutanizing the oil you choose to use.

Top Bottom