woody51

Apr 2, 2001
My question is this, is the ’03 250 that much better than the ’97 250? I currently have a 1997 CR250 and have recently found a pretty good deal on a 2003 CR250. I like my current bike but am thinking it may be time to upgrade.

What difference would I notice between the ’03 and the ’97. I know that the ’03 has some carb issues to be sorted out and that the ’97 has a rock hard frame by some standards.

Are there any other main issues or attributes that I would notice when going from a ’97 to a ‘03?

Thanks

Adrian591

Jul 20, 2002
Last fall I also went from a '97 to a 03. The main thing I noticed was I wasnt on the ground nearly as much, and no trips to the hospital. The 03 is very stable, my confidence soared on the new bike. The other thing I noticed is I had to bring home trophies every weekend, this wasnt a much of a problem with the 97. I havent had any jetting problems and I think people who dont like the new cr's need to stop reading MXA, or at least take it with a grain of salt.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Put it to you this way, if the 02-04's had the 97 engine it would reign supreme. My 97 ran way better in terms of usable power than my 01 or case reed 02 (which has a ton of power, but look out when it hits).

The 97 rider has never experienced a plush, controlled stable bike that will turn on a dime also. My 97 had an evil swap that came out of nowhere when pushed hard and would put you on your head. It didn't headshake, just never very planted followed by the occasional lateral hop across the track. The suspension of the 97 was much more to blame than the frame.

The 00-01's reversed that trend and had decent suspension, but handled so much better. The 02 and up moved the bar up a bunch w/ incredible suspension and handling that nobody has been able to match. Again, if Honda had just one of the great 96-01 non-case reed engines they would dominate every shootout imaginable.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
The 03' is very stable and the suspension is awesome...The best I've ever felt from a stock bike that's for sure...Braking bumps disappear...Feels very light and has very good Jumping manners...It's so easy to control off jumps with no weird quirks....

The motor hits hard in the midrange and revs like crazy....The bottom end is soft but don't let people fool you...High HP is not made in the bottom...The 03' CR250 has the highest output of HP of any 03' Japanese bike and the dyno figures to prove this...

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
My 97 had the most awesome motor in a harsh chassis (forks, mostly) that did randomly weird things. My 02 chassis doesn't try to pitch me off at random, and the forks are plush. Unforunately, the motor is hobbled by the Mikuni carb. A Keihin PWK cured its ills and made it run like the electric-smooth 97 motor.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
looks like I'm gonna have to pop for the Keihin...where did you get yours from and what jetting are you using? I'm @ about 850 ft (sea level)

taksx

Oct 7, 2004
i went from a 97 to a 02.
the 97 has a good motor and i never really had a problem till i got sand in the main baring (too many glamis trips). it was a harsh ride and @ 5 7" i felt small out of the bike and really tall on the bike.

02 is like riding a cadillac i fit so much better and i can touch the ground while i sit on the bike :eek: . the engine may not be as strong as the 97 but i don't have a problem with that. and i don't know what some of you guy's do to your carbs but i don't have a problem with jetting at all i just fallow the manual like a dumb monkey that i am and the bike runs awsome.
pc pipe and silencer
v force cage
S8 nozzle,air screw 1.75,6BEY31-74 needle,32.5 pilot,380 main,
jetted for socal deserts.

oh by the way the 02-05 look really cool :cool:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
[ Again, if Honda had just one of the great 96-01 non-case reed engines they would dominate every shootout imaginable.[/QUOTE]

I agree completly. Remember the post from last year when someone on here put the YZ 250 motor in the CR 250 chassis???

I loved riding the 03 Cr 250, but the engine was terrible when compared to any other 250 I have ridden. If Honda

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
I agree with everybody here, the '97's motor is a riot and just about the most powerful 250. But, the frame is a rock.. But, like Adrian said, no problems bringing a win with the '97. Never ridden a newer CR, but have a '01 KX250 and an '00 YZ250. Which both absolutely kill the CR in frame/suspension. But the CR motor is untouchable.

woody51

Apr 2, 2001
Thanks for all of your responses!

I did end up getting the '03 250, the deal was too good to pass up.

Some guy had a little accident with it and didn't want to fix it up. The subframe is bent, and the left side footpeg, shifter, and engine cover are a little banged up. Should be ready to ride in no time.

I'll have to ride it a little bit and see what I think. So if you know of any one who wants a electric smooth motor with a not as smooth suspension I may be looking to sell my ’97 CR250, make me some offers.

Thanks again.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I'd be curious to see if the 97 engine will come close to mounting up in the 02 frame... :cool:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I saw the 97 was being parted out...except for the engine. Does it fit?! If so, let me know what you encountered, cuz if its do-able I'm looking for an engine

woody51

Apr 2, 2001
Well here's the story, I went to pick up the '03 CR and the guy had a '97 CR 250 rolling chassis that he wanted to sell me.

I ended up buying that and I am now in the process of mounting the motor from my old '97 into the rolling chassis that I picked up and parting out my old '97. The new rolling chassis was so clean it would have been a crime to part it out.

I don't know if I have the guts to do a motor swap. Plus I plan on selling the '97 when I get it all together.

Who knows though winter can be long and it can make people do some crazy things.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom