1st time 2 stroke owner - help needed

Biggredd

Jan 19, 2006
I did a brief search but the answers I want didn't jump out at me.

I am buying my first 2 stroke today, a 93 Yamaha YZ250. I've ownded a few other bikes but were all 4 stroke. I went out riding last summer with a friend who let me borrow a 2 stroke and mentioned a few things I want to make sure I have down before I ruin something.

On a 2 stroke you don't keep full throttle open for long periods? When it peaks out do you need to let off? Have some confusion here.

Also, my friend kept leaning the bikes over to one side prior to starting it, something about getting the fuel/oil in the proper places for longevity. Is this necessary?

Besides making sure I keep a gas/oil mixed can available what should I know about a 2 stroke that is different from a 4. I've google this question 10 different ways.

Thanks.

crashnburn

Apr 24, 2004
My expertise is very limited, but as far as holding it wide open for long periods of time I have heard both ways, don't and it's ok. My thoughts are if it is jetted properly I can't see any problem with a two stroke running wot if you can find a long enough straight stretch. As far as the leaning, my buddy does this to prime the cylinder before starting, In his words it makes it start easier. Personally I don't lean the bike over, I just roll my kickstarter over a couple of times before I start it. Actually as far as maintenence I do less yearly maintainence than my four stroke buddies, just keep oil in the fuel, and rering it every 20 to 40 hrs.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Change the piston ring. My bike starts 1st or 2nd kick with no leaning over - it's not necessary unless your bike is a hard starter.

If you run past the power peak, you could theoretically grenade the motor. . .

Rumor has it that expert racers can blow a fresh top end in an hour . . . I sure can't, but then again I'm no expert. ;)

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Biggredd said:
I did a brief search but the answers I want didn't jump out at me.

I am buying my first 2 stroke today, a 93 Yamaha YZ250. I've ownded a few other bikes but were all 4 stroke. I went out riding last summer with a friend who let me borrow a 2 stroke and mentioned a few things I want to make sure I have down before I ruin something.

On a 2 stroke you don't keep full throttle open for long periods? When it peaks out do you need to let off? Have some confusion here.

Also, my friend kept leaning the bikes over to one side prior to starting it, something about getting the fuel/oil in the proper places for longevity. Is this necessary?

Besides making sure I keep a gas/oil mixed can available what should I know about a 2 stroke that is different from a 4. I've google this question 10 different ways.

Thanks.

My 97 is very similar to yours. I am getting extremely good life out of the weisco pistons. I changed the rings at 50 hours, and the piston at 100.

Use a decent pre mix oil. I like Yamalube R, but others have differing opinions. Purchase an extra air filter and keep it clean. T

+30

Aug 2, 2005
You made a great choice 2ts are on the way back. People are tired of thosecrappy smelly 4t mx bikes costing more than formula 1 cars.Buy a ratio-rite cup and fill it with klotz r50.When a 2 smoke peaks off so does your power, you need to shift otherwise your making noise and not going any faster. Dont worry about getting on it, thats what 2smokes are all about. wind it up. just dont go and pin it in neutral for 5 mins like a d-class points chaser. keep your fuel - oil fresh, mix between 32-1 and 36-1 or even 40-1 with a good synthetic. castor works and has great film strength but not as clean burning. you wont have as much engine braking effect of the 4t with your 2t, it will take a little getting used to. Change clutch oil often, airfilter every ride or two. Oh and pinch the bike with your legs, 2t's will wear your arms out fast!!!

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
Agreed, wide open throttle is ok if it is jetting properly. That means a little rich in the main jet if your running fire roads etc.

The biggest cause of seizure is running at full throttle for an extended time then chopping or closing the throttle. When you do this no fuel (or idle quantity) is entering the cylinder and the heat will expand the piston really fast without the fuels cooling/lubricating. The piston and cylinder marry themselves together.

Solution is to pull in the clutch when the straight is over and use your brakes.

I use the “tip over method” but I always drain my bowl before I transport or if I have more than a few days of no riding.

joshp

May 2, 2005
i_955 said:
Agreed, wide open throttle is ok if it is jetting properly. That means a little rich in the main jet if your running fire roads etc.

The biggest cause of seizure is running at full throttle for an extended time then chopping or closing the throttle. When you do this no fuel (or idle quantity) is entering the cylinder and the heat will expand the piston really fast without the fuels cooling/lubricating. The piston and cylinder marry themselves together.

Solution is to pull in the clutch when the straight is over and use your brakes.

I use the “tip over method” but I always drain my bowl before I transport or if I have more than a few days of no riding.

I can't find a straight away long enough to sit at full throttle but I go through the gears. Some guys at the parks rev the crap out of their bike and they're not going fast; I don't understand why they don't shift.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom