racer965

Apr 13, 2006
Hey guys my yz is leaking coolant out of wat looks to be a hole that is actually supposed to be there on the bottom right(kickstarter side) of the engine. I dont kno y it is coming out of there? I dont understand Thanks in advanced for any help.

eagles22793

May 25, 2008
I have the same bike and I dont think there is coolant that gose to the bottom of the engine I think it only stays at the cylinder to cool it down but that is it

racer965

Apr 13, 2006
Yea

Yes that does make since although i dont know y it is coming out of this hole. Thats the only place it looks to be leakin though like there is no other spot on the engine were the leak can be coming from. Anyone else have some input?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The water pump is down in the gear case so there will be water down there.

I am not familiar with your year of YZ, but by chance is the hole directly under the water pump?

A common failure is to have the water pump bearings and/or seal fail which will allow water to leak down the shaft. On an automobile water pump they have an intentional "weep" hole that gives water a place to go in such a case, which will at least keep the water out of the crankcase. On my bikes, however, the only place for water leaking past the seal to go is into the gear box.

It is possible that your bike provided a weep path from the water pump to the outside. The good news is that it allows you to identify the problem before it does a lot of damage. The bad news is that you will need to replace the water pump/bearings/seal.

Rod

racer965

Apr 13, 2006
I get wat your sayin exactly one of the bikes i fixed once had a bad water pump seal and i changed it and it fixed all the problem. That would be a real good idea by yamaha if that is actually put there for that reason. Well tomorow im gonna look at it i more in depth.

Apr 26, 2009
ok, i had the same problem on my 1986 cr125. it is basiclly you have 1 or 2 seals on that side of the bike (water pump and oil), your water seal is leaking. it is leaking out of the "weep hole". assuming its as easy as it was on my bike (or easier since its newer), just take off the right side case (or maybe just water pump on the newer bike), and replace the seal. get a manual, they will help. but im 99.9% sure you have a faulty water seal. very easy to change. dont run the bike as it is. will cost you more in the long run that the 5-10$ for the seal and gasket to fix it now

Top Bottom