mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
i have a 95 kdx200 - stiff springs/gold valve/fmf rev pipe.
if i sent it off for a 225 bore/port from eric gorr - will it keep up with a stock 96 kx250? i'm getting tired of my riding partner catching me on the straights...

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
Having ridden neither a 1996 KX 250 nor a KDX w/ a 225 kit, I'd venture to guess the answer is "no." The KDX still gives up 10% in displacement. Also, MX bikes are tuned more towards peak power (which helps on straights) while the KDX will have a broader powerband with less peak.

Of course the most important part of this reply is the bit where I say I've ridden neither bike. Thus, my reply is probably worth less than the paper it's printed on.

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
has anyone actually ridden an eric gore 225 and a late model 250? canadian dave i think told me the 225 was very nice but will it accelerate with a 250?

i need to decide if i want to put the $$$ into the kdx or just sell it and go mx. the mx has much nicer brakes but i sure like the reliabilty of the kdx.

thanks for your help.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Originally posted by mprest4
has anyone actually ridden an eric gore 225 and a late model 250?

I've never ridden a 250 mxer, but I did ride KelvinKDX's KDX 225 on a grass track at DW and was absolutely blown away. I've never ridden anything like it. In every gear, just twist the throttle and the front end comes up. I got back on my bike (wich has a K-35 pipe and Boyesen powere reeds) and kept thinking it wasn't running right. The 225 almost seemed to rev out like a 125, but still had the same low end lug factor as the stock 200. I can tell you that the second I can afford it, my bike will be a 225. You'll have to talk to him, he may have also had the RB carb mod, I'm not sure. The point is, I was more than impressed.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
It's not the engine. I just returned from a week in the Utah desert riding with many 250 MXers, My 220 [slightly modified] will go through the gears with the best of them. The big problem comes when you hit the upper gears. The MX bikes handle far better at speed than does the KDX. After a couple of miles flat out -- fighting the quick steering and rear end kicking, the KDX pilot quickly falls behind. The KDX IS NOT a go -fast bike. Now, when the terrain gets really gnarly, rocky, twisty, The KDX shows the MXers how to do it. My KDX repeatedly cleaned ugly, twisting stairstepped uphills where the MXers [and YZF] riders were pushing and pulling -and swearing. If you want to go fast -- get the MXer. If you want to go gnarly, get the KDX. They're complete opposites !!

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
To add to Stan's post - I do also have the RB carb mod and a Scarlet & Gray power band on my 99' KDX225. :thumb:

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Jim, thanks again for letting me ride that awesome bike :aj: And for the pipe. BTW, I'm sending the pipe to Pacific Crest Pipe Repair tomorrow. :yeehaw:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom