37 yr. old c rider looking for new bike

hadleycat

Feb 12, 2006
I am 6'0" 205 lbs medium agression rider do my riding at freelin and baja mx tracks in michigan I have 3 yrs. experience on a cr 250r (2003) I am a C rider and race the 30 sport class. I work on my own bikes. leaning towards a 2008 crf250r. I am 37 yrs. old and want abike that is manageable for me power wise thanx.

gracey

Feb 1, 2008
From the DRN forum rules:

Help Us Help You ...How to help get advice on bikes.
Everyday I see more and more posts of this type:
I am X years old and want a dirtbike what do you think I should look for?

As glad as I am that you value forum members opinions I wish you would include more info so they can give you an opinion instead of putting up this answer. We need more info to help.

Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
4) Do you have any riding experience?
5) Do you think you will race ?
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) Do you live in California?
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

This info won't guarantee a perfect bike choice but it will sure steer the answers you get closer to the ideal bike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hadley-

You've more or less answered all that... You ride a cr2505, you race, you work on bikes, you're a big boy, and old enough to not get ridiculed for having the brainpower of a 15 yr old...so, please excuse me, but I'm wondering what your question is exactly?

Is it that you don't think you can handle a crf250r? Why exactly would you be concerned about that, given your resume?

gracey

Feb 1, 2008
You have enough experience, that it seems like you should be making that decision for yourself by riding, rather than asking people who have never seen you ride, or know your preferences. It seems like you should have some general idea of the difference between the two.

I have a friend your age who went from a kdx200? to the crf250r. He's a bit smaller than you at 5'9" and 185. It has all the power he needs, although, as he experiences all the touchy mechanicals of trying to get it kicked over etc. I've heard him exclaim more than a few times how much he hates his bike. lol. He's more a woods rider and private mx than c class guy, although his skills are quite good.

On the other hand all the a class riders I know in their 40's and 50's are riding the crf450r. The minimal weight difference between the 250 and 450 have them upsized.

Go test ride one, or see if someone at the track will let you take a 250 and 450 thumper for a spin. Then decide for yourself. You may even decide you don't want to go that route at all and enjoy what you've got.

Top Bottom