Haycock Kid

Oct 15, 2005
Happy Thanksgiving - quick question before I run to the in-laws -

It is a resently purchased used bike that I have not done the "used bike maintenance overhaul" - so I know that there are things to do; but, this morning the boy and I decided to run around the lawn for an hour - about thirty minutes into the ride the bike has a mind of its own and just starts running wide open - odd enough the kill button stopped working and I couldn't turn it off - cranked the screw in and stalled it.

When I clean the carb and float and stuff per the manual - is there anything else I should look at while I'm in there ?

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
After that (cable) check for a lean condition like a vacuum leak or something in the gas tank that could've clogged the pilot circuit in the carb. BTW, a carb bowl that is running out of gas (sticking needle and seat or float) can also cause those symptoms. Do you have plenty of gas in the tank(...same symptoms if running out of premix, ie. fuel starved lean condition)?

Haycock Kid

Oct 15, 2005
Thanks - being a newbie I wouldn't have thought of that, but it sure makes sense - I guess its time to start playing mechanic . . . I'll post my progress or lack of . . . . Thanks again.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Kill button will not work on runaway 2 strokes. They just auto combust like a diesel and run on. Usually just stall them with the gears and brakes. Cheers John

Haycock Kid

Oct 15, 2005
old turtle - it was a fraided cable down at the linkage

Rhodester - no leaks, but I did add a little grease around the air filter box for a good seal

bake - gaskets ok

John H - I'll try and remember the up gear and stall - sounds safer than pulling the spark plug cap off and risking a shock

Thanks again to everyone, and have a safe Season
Haycock K

Top Bottom