gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I'm thinking of getting my soon to be 8 yr old an 80cc MX bike. He's getting a little too big and aggressive on the PW80. And he's the biggest kid in his 2nd grade class. I'm pretty sure I can lower the MX bike enough for him to ride. But I'm concerned about power delivery.

Is there a HUGE difference between the power valved KX and say a YZ?

Are there any other 8 yr olds riding 80 MX bikes?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I don't know of any 8 year olds on 80cc mxer's around here. It will all be dependant on his size but most seem to go from a PW to a 65. The powervalved 80's are easier for a beginner to ride because they have a little more bottom end. That being said there is kids all over the track learning on every brand and they all seem to manage.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
What are you feedin' that kid!? :)

How tall is he? My ten year ols is about average height and doesn't come close to touching the ground on an 85.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
The boy is 4'4" and weighs close to 90 lbs. But he has short stubby legs. Still, he flat foots easily on the PW and I've raised the seat height to 26". There's a YZ80 for sale down the road. They have a 33" seat height stock. I'm figuring I can get the seat down to 30" or maybe less. But I'm just a tad hesitant.

Is there a HUGE difference in the power between a 65 and an 80? He's ridden a KX65 and loved it. Might have to see if he can test ride it or something.

slowmorider

Dec 9, 2003
I just got a 05 KX85 for my 9 year old son. He's 4'4" at 60 lbs. He's been riding a TTR90, his first bike, for about year. He can only touch with one foot so he has to hop from one foot to the other when starting the bike.

In half a day he had to learn kick start a bike, figure out where neutral is, use the clutch and throttle, shifting, coming to a stop without falling over and killing the motor. The hardest part for him was figuring out the clutch and throttle. I just sat on the back with him to talk him through the process and kick start it everytime he killed it. He doesn't plan on racing he just need a bigger bike for jumping.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
4"4' and only 60 lbs? I gotta stop feeding my boy Twinkies! His beer belly is bigger than mine!

I took him to sit on it last night. Sounds like he fits about like yours does. By next summer I figure he'll have another inch on him. Talked Ma into it too. But I kept telling him that if he kept up straight As on his report card, it would be lots easier to get another bike. His first progress report has him with Bs in reading and art. I don't care about art, but the kid is smart enough for an A in reading.

GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

slowmorider

Dec 9, 2003
It wasn't hard for us to decide what size to get because after going to a motocross school we saw other kids his size on 85s. Last weekend was his first time with the bike and he ran 6 tanks of gas through it. I think he likes it.

We don't sweat the grades. He works hard at everything he does so I know he'll be fine.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Yeah, about the grades, I really can't bitch too much about Bs. But he's so dang smart, I KNOW he could do better.

Thanks for your input slowmo. I think he'll handle the 80 OK. He'll have access to the PW still. I have two other yungins coming up behind him. We'll get our money's worth out of them all!

Top Bottom