Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
I was given a 1985 Honda CR125. I am willing to say it was in storage for at least 10 years. I thought I would check out the condition and would see if it run before spending any money and time. I changed out the water, crankcase oil (used type F tranny fluid), cleaned out the varnish deposits in the carb and jets, pulled the air cleaner (foam fell apart), and cleaned out the air box. It fired up and ran. I rode it a couple of laps in the yard without the air cleaner and it seemed pretty gutless on the low end but had some top end power.

I noticed a crack in the boot on the engine side of the carb boot which will probally effect preformance and suck dirt. Other than that it just looks like this bike just needed some TLC and a little restoration. I am going to check out the swing arm and steering bearings next. I probally need to look at the reed valves ( I assume it has them). I will need to change out the fork oil, etc. etc. and go over the whole bike little by little. It looks like a good project bike.

I am on the learning curve, need a manual, and need to learn more about the 80 2-smokers. I bought a 4-stroke in 03 and but did most of my riding in the 70s on 2 and 4 strokes.

Can anybody give me some info on the old Honda and what I should check out next. Is there any pointers I need to know about. It was a freebee so for a couple of $100 I may have another play toy.

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
I never thought about it quite like that. Wife wife calls it another money pit.

I found an installed air cleaner, lubbed some cables and pivot points, fliish putting the old plastic back on, and took it a few laps around the yard. I need to fix the carb boot before I do much more. It runs pretty good but gotto keep it in the high revs compared to the 4-stroke to make it go.

Top Bottom