atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Ok, I'm looking into a '86 YZ490 forsale near where I live. I love riding the KDX, but I'd like to find something that I can truly call mine. (The KDX doesn't actually belong to me, I've just had it for the last 18 months... its weird, but I won't complain) Anyways, the asking price seems fair, 1k or best offer, so I'm thinking $750 - $800. Anyways, my real question is... whats the good and bad sides to these models? I'm not the greatest rider in the world, but I can handle the KDX fine... but would a 490 be too much? Is the power controlable, or do they hit fast? Can I ride it through the woods without accidentally climbing a tree? Are there any particular problems with these bikes, things to look out for? I went over the basic stuff, it looks really well cared for. Good compression, good brakes, chain and sprokets look good. I'm going to get in touch with the owner to take a ride on it, but your opinions would be great. Thanks guys, rock on! :aj: (Always wanted to use that Icon...)

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Thanks for the link. I'm having a hard time with information here, I think maybe I should have posted in the Vintage bikes forum. Oh well, I guess i will! But thanks for the link Jh85.

Adrenaline

Mod Ban
Oct 26, 2001
I've heard the kick back on those bikes can break your ankle's. The hit i've heard to be a hard one but can be tamed. Talk to Eric Gorr for advice on porting. Nice bikes though!

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
Oh man, if you've read Dirt Bike religously since the 80's and read Hunky's book and columns on Off-road.com you will get the answers you need.

Basically the 490 is powerful, fast and impossible to jet. From what I have read the bike has a dentonation problem that requires head work to cure. If you get it dialed in then the 490 isn't a bad bike except for the vibration. $800 isn't a lot to pay for a bike so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you are looking to get into open bikes you can still buy a brand new 1987 KX 500 at your Kawasaki dealer. They now come with BNG and a upside down fork. At $5000 it isn't a bad deal for a bike. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I raced a 86 yz490.
I had dgy/eric port it and do the head mods.
I broke the cases when the trans came out of it but the new owner never had a lick of trouble with it.
I believe it was a four speed. I was a yamaha wrench at the time and we replaced some of the frames due to the chain roller ripping off of the frame. They shake a lot but will holeshot to beat the band, just put it in second and let the clutch out and you're in first place (for a while).
They can be made to turn too. I would ride it and see if I could live with the vibage.

Top Bottom