80elkster

Feb 4, 2005
Has anyone swapped out their USD forks on their 93 or 94 kdx200 to KX forks and if so can you use the original TT's?? Inquireing minds want to know! :nod:

80elkster

Feb 4, 2005
No body has done this????

Surely some one has swapped out their stock upside down forks for a set of KX forks with the rebound adjustement. The main thing I need to know is what diameter are the KX forks at the upper and lower triple clamps. The stock forks are ~50mm (Upper) and ~56mm (Lower).

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
If you stay with the older style KX forks, up to (I think) 1997, they are also 43mm and use the same triple clamps, but are still fully adjustable. All you'll have to change is the brake and axle. IF I remember correctly, the axles are the same diameter, just different design so you should be able to use the same wheel and brake rotor.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
1991 and newer KX forks' outer tube diameters are too large to fit in 1993/1994 KDX200 triple clamps. 1990 KX forks MIGHT, but since the 1990 forks also have 41mm inner tube diameters, I doubt it would be worth the touble to swap to 1990 KX forks.

Yamadad, unfortunately, you are wrong on every point. :-(

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
glad2ride said:
Yamadad, unfortunately, you are wrong on every point. :-(

Hmm, you're right about the size, sorry, typo. But....

This is what I did. I used a triple clamp from a 1996 KX500, which had the same part number stamped on it for a KX250 and KX125. This bolted right up to my 2000 KDX220 perfectly (it also bolts up perfectly to a KLX too), and then I mounted the upside down forks from a 1993 KDX250, which fit perfectly. Which is now what I running, which I also installed the original KDX220 base valve into the older fork. To give it more adjustability than the original more primative design. (BTW, the whole guts will exchange with one another with very little work.)

So..........

(For those who were wondering why: I wanted the upside down fork with less underhang due to riding in a rocky area. I also wanted to keep the odo and liked the older axle mounting system. Plus, the to-be-different factor)

Top Bottom