vznx1w

Dec 7, 2000
How effective is the mid-valve setting on this bike? Specifically, how much can I expect to change my base valve settings if I remove the mid-valve.

BACKGROUND:
I recently purchased a RT Gold Valve kit for my son's CR125, which will be third bike that I've installed Gold Valves on. RT recommends installing a cylinder seal and removing the mid-valve before running their settings. However, I know that many on this site disagree and believe that RT takes this position to simplify their tuning recommendations. If I choose not to modify the cartridge, how much should I change the base valve settings?

It seems to me that adding the cylinder seal will make the low speed comp stiffer, while removing the mid-valve will have the opposite effect--softing the low speed. Can I consider the net effect a "wash." and just go with the recommended valve stacks.

Set-up Info:
Rider: 140 lb intermediate motocrosser
Height: 5' 10"
Springs: .38
RT Valve Recommendation: CL3, CH4

Looking forward to guidance.

Thanks,

Steve

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I wish i could help more but i have only seen a 98 fork once, and i have never used a gold valve setup-however a good few members have (with and without midvalves) so hopefully some will chime in.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Possibly , Ive done quite a few of those as mods and it seems as though were now putting attention to most mid valve setups as just maintenance or replacement of bent or fouled shims top cartridge seals etc.shimdishing etc. cl3 ch4 sound really light though for MX if you ask me Even though hes light rider..With 5wt oil anyway.Try it give us the feedback .I like to try to get the most out of the basevalve for ease of accessability .

vznx1w

Dec 7, 2000
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Regarding the CL3 and CH 4:
RT recommends going to CL6 and CH5 if the cylinder seal is NOT installed. However, this assumes that mid-valve is also removed--which will further soften the action. They don't comment on how much to change the base valve if you leave the mid-valve, instead of replacing it with a check plate.

I guess I'll just pick a number a try it. I can always change it later.

Steve

Top Bottom