ShaneG

Sep 6, 2006
My buddy is interested in starting to ride with me. He use to ride when he was little and he has a yamaha r1 street bike. One of our other buddys has a 1999 cr125 is in good condition. It has a different cog and a new back tire/rear sprocket. I rode it and the top end seems fine, but it needs front brakes(easy to fix and cheap) eventually the front forks would need rebuilt but other than all that it has never been raced just mainly trail riding and every now and then the track. He did mention that he has jumped it quite abit but it should be alright. The whole time the guy has had it he has never fouled a plug. The guy is asking 1300 for it but I'm wondering if its worth that. My buddy said he might call him and try and get it for 1200 right now. What do you guys think?

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
it sounds good, before you get it do a compression test on it to make sure that the top end is in decent shpe. As well, he said that he never fouled a plug, he could be running it too lean. now the front breaks are those drum or disc, drums are cheaper than discs becasue they dont involve calipers and pistons. Check and see if it shifts through gears smoothly without hesitation and make sure the forks arnt leaking oil. Other than that im out of ideas, im sure someone will add some more ;)

KX'er

Oct 12, 2000
I'm quite sure a 99 cr has disc brakes.

Might want to take a look at the air filter to see if it is clean, and maybe the condition of the tranny oil. That may give an indication of how well the bike was maintained.

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
A compression tester. It's basically an air-pressure gauge that screws into the spark plug hole, then you crank over the motor and it tells you how many PSI the motor puts out on a compression stroke. 2 stroke motors should be between 110 and 160psi to operate properly... (unless they're modified for performance).

Dan

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
2 stroke motors are NOT between 110 and 160 PSI, they are between 130 and 180 PSI. a compression tester it only like $35, not much and its worth the buy because you can use it on almost any engine. When using one make sure that the engine is warm and that you have the throttle wide open when kicking the bike, kick it continuiously untill the gauge no longer moves.

ShaneG

Sep 6, 2006
We didn't do a compression test, but he did buy the bike however. I rode it and the top end seems good. The chain is in alright condition we havent checked the air filter he said that he did clean it about 2 rides back. Tonight we changed the oil and you could tell its been a while since it was changed. It seems like a really good deal for 1300 dollars! Thank you guys for all of your help.

Top Bottom