adamant

Mar 20, 2006
Or you could try & cut a new grove in the head of the screw with a hammer & chisel or such like. Then just unscrew it I have had to do this before on my carb top screws. I did eventually get them out with no damage. Using a drill would be the last option! :)

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
go get a cheap set of EZ Outs

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
A hammer and chisel would be my last option on a somewhat thin and brittle brake mc cover lol. Not to mention that but its most likely countersunk making that a bit tougher (although not impossible). Easy outs is an option but it's a small screw, good luck with that.

Just out of curiosity why would a drill be someones last option? Just go slow and you'll be fine.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Mr Lucky , was reading my mind , i was adding another option only to try and prevent the BFH approach LOL

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
If you drill the heads off of these, they will usually come out with fingers. The head of the bolt appears to sieze in place. Once the tension is off the screw, no big deal.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I had to drill one off once, many years ago. I think some of those factory screws are made out of butter.

I agree with Mr. Lucky - drilling it off is preferable to beating on your master cylinder cover.

BTW, once you break out the drill, the process will only take a few seconds.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
PS - if you drill it out, start with a pretty small drill bit...guessing something around 7/64. Do NOT use a bit the size of the screw head. You may end going to a little larger bit and drilling it again but you're only drilling a very small amount of material.

adamant

Mar 20, 2006
MrLuckey said:
A hammer and chisel would be my last option on a somewhat thin and brittle brake mc cover lol. Not to mention that but its most likely countersunk making that a bit tougher (although not impossible). Easy outs is an option but it's a small screw, good luck with that.

Just out of curiosity why would a drill be someones last option? Just go slow and you'll be fine.

good luck having enough left of the bolt to grab :)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Once the head spins free, you can pop the cover off.

With the lid removed, there should be plenty of bolt left to grab, and it won't be very tight.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
There are plenty of threads sticking up after the cover is removed. I was worried about the same thing, but there was really no choice.

Top Bottom