D_Moen

May 7, 2007
Hi All,

I recently rode a friends damper equiped bike. The improvement in handling in the rocks and roots around here was amazing. The bike had a "Scotts" damper, which was nice, but a little spendy for me. Are there any lower priced alternatives?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I think the GPR is less expensive than the Scotts. I've had WER and Scotts and both work great.

Dampers are awesome. They will help you save many crashes, so it's almost like saftey equipment. As you learn that you will be able to save it, your confidence improves and you ride faster.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
dirt bike dave said:
...and you ride faster.
...and get more pinch flats in the rough rocky sections. I found myself riding a gear higher in rocky stuff with a damper. It's quite amazing how well they work.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I've used all three. The WER is the lease expensive and its a good unit. You don't have to buy the expensive mounts and clamps for the WER thats a big part of the savings. I am hooked on GPR though, mainly because I've had excellent customer service with them.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I've used Scotts, GPR and now this: Roc Stompa Dampers

Very nice damper which also allows you to bypass all damping on the fly by pulling the adjuster knob

IMO, the GPR is ok, but not the quality of the Scotts or Roc Stompa

uh_oh

Sep 25, 2007
SpeedyManiac said:
I'm really happy with my Scotts unit. Yes, it's expensive, but it's worth it. To deal with pinch flats, I now run Tire Balls.
what are tire balls? where can i get some? thanks Ive been wanting a dampner for quite some time, but i dont make enough money at work. :ahhh:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
uh_oh said:
what are tire balls? where can i get some? thanks Ive been wanting a dampner for quite some time, but i dont make enough money at work. :ahhh:
Go with a bib mousse instead, just as much of a PITA to install but no air.

http://www.tireballs.com/

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Mousses wear out (count on replacing them twice per season at a minimum). Tire Balls don't and they aren't difficult to install. I pinched a ball in half with a tire iron and it didn't pop. Plus they make the bike handle unbelievably well. Worth the money IMHO.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Tire Balls all the way

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I saw that too...I would think the constant damping, instead of free return to center may get tiring??

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
CR Swade said:
I saw that too...I would think the constant damping, instead of free return to center may get tiring??
I don't find that at all. The Scott's has an adjustment the releases the dampening past a certain angle but going to center doesn't really need it. I have the dampening turned down on my Scott's and let the high speed kick in to take the real hard hits. It's like the high speed setting on your shock.

I don't know how I lived with out one before:ohmy:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
RM_guy said:
I don't find that at all. The Scott's has an adjustment the releases the dampening past a certain angle but going to center doesn't really need it. I have the dampening turned down on my Scott's and let the high speed kick in to take the real hard hits. It's like the high speed setting on your shock.

I don't know how I lived with out one before:ohmy:

The stocker on the CRF is straight damping away and back, or so it appears.

I use dampers also, but prefer no damping back to center

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Oh yeah, I also forgot...DAMPNER, how you like that Rich. I know that makes him feel all warm and cuddly

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
CR Swade said:
The stocker on the CRF is straight damping away and back, or so it appears.

According to honda damping forces increase greatly under extension (when turning left or right) and offers much less resistance under compression (when returning to straight ahead position). It seems a simple design compared to the other dampers on the market but its probably a good peice.
It will be interesting to see how they work out.

Top Bottom