air cooled topend on liquid cooled bottom

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
hey my cr 80 has an air cooled motor and it is cramped in my 1999 cr80 frame blah blah and a guy is selling 1996 bottom minus the top, my question is will my air cooled jug and head fit the stud pattern and if it does can i just plug up all the radiator holes and be good to go thanks hoping for a fast response

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So how would you get rid of the heat?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
brentcole, if the cylinder studs are in the same place you might get away with it.
BUT, and this is a big BUT (with only one "T") you have to make and test it carefully. i don´t know the older engine so i cannot tell you if it work.

best is to get a air cooled engine. really. less expensive almost for sure :cool:

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
i have a running air cooled engine in my bike and it is taking up to much space, the carb, gas tank, and kick start dont fit right so i cant put on an air filter or kick start my bike and this would solve all my problems
happy fourth!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If a guy clobbered the older air cooled motor in the newer frame, the newer motor should go in the same way. BUT, clobbering the water and air cooled motor, together, is a even WAY more bizarre and even more unlikely to work at all. And after a cup of coffee, if you have the time and materials, this clobber job is just dumb enough to work? As far as I know, its not been tried, yet?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
yes, it has been tryed. a portuguese motorcycle brand, casal, has built some motors in the past and many people put air cooled cylinders in the new engine with 6 speed gearbox instead of 5. the new engine is lot slower than the old air cooled engine but the old gearbox was overdated, pretty much like a truck.

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
well if someone that has expierience with or owns both motors can tell me if the stud pattern is the same and if it is i will go ahead and try it

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
brentoncole said:
is it that hard how does my current motor lose heat the cooling fins duh lol
So you have a special kind of water cooled cylinder that has fins? :coocoo: The water cooled cylinder has water jackets, so basically you have an area of dead air that will insulate the inner mass of metal not to mention the overall thicker chunk of metal you will have.

It's pretty obvious you have no clue what I'm pointing out. Not a big deal because sometimes ya' gotta' learn the hard way. Even if it does fit it will overheat.

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
no i dont understand what u are pointing out at all is there some kind of diagram u can show me, it sounds like you dont know where the heat is going it is a solid air cooled jug and head from a 1981? cr 80
as far i as i know there is a one or two coolant passages that connect to the jug that leads to the coolant pump and then there is a hose to the radiator then back to the head and thru the jug to start over again, but my air cooled topend is solid and should sit over the passages and skip all that my bike would dissipate and accumulate the same amount of heat as the air cooled motor currently does but i would have the space i need
ehhhh :( this would be alot easier on every one if we had some close up pictures of both motors types of cr 80 motors... i am not trying to make an air cooled engine im trying to make an aircooled smaller

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
My bad I had you putting the water jug on the air cooled case. Now the easiest way to determine if the bases line up would be a base gasket.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Looking at the parts diagrams I still think you will have some areas that previously had coolant flowing through them that end up with air space getting seriously hot that could cause you some issues IF the parts even fit which also looking at the diagrams does not look like something that will fit. I'll also venture fitting the pipe would be an issus but less so that the other items.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
i was just about to say about the base gasket.
anyway, i get my cylinder off the bike today and between o lot of measures here it is:
the two back studs have 78 mm between centers.
the two right studs have 82 mm between centers. both uses a steel pin while the two on the left side don´t.
the base have a step on it. we cannot see on the parts diagram but here is a pic.
total lengt of the skirt: 20mm, step is well in the middle at 10mm. small diameter is 58 bigger diameter is 68.

after writing all of this i looked at the parts diagram and see that the studs dont fit, the new engine have cylinder and head studs separated and the old model don´t...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Why don't you actually try it?

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
Frist of all it not possable to run CR80R Elsinore air cooled jug on a newer CR80 that water cooled buttom end and it would been a hell of lot of work just to mod and old air cooled motor to water cooled frame and are you sure you have air cooled motor in newer frame or are you just blowing smoke??.
If you do have CR80R Elsinore air cooled motor then you need find 1979 to 1982 buttom end and below is why the two will not work
Air Cooled Stroke: 41.4mm
Water Cooled Stroke: 47.8mm
Posted a few picture of you bike I love see this.

Top Bottom