BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I thought my fiasco with Allstate was over with......I guess not. Get cozy, this is a long flame. Here's a little background:

A couple years ago I discovered that one of their guidelines is that they will not insure any off-road motorcycle over 250cc. Fast forward to a week before I bought the 300. I called and got a quote, and asked if they would insure a 300cc dirtbike. I was told that everything was fine.

So then I buy the bike. I once again call up to get a quote and make sure they can insure the bike. Yes, no problem they tell me. So then I go down to their office to buy the policy. It is then that I was told they could not insure me because I had two "incidents" (one ticket for running a stop sign, one not at fault accident) on my driving record. Keep in mind they knew of this when they were getting a quote for me prior.

The next day I call back just to make sure they understand that the bike is not a streetbike, and that my car accident wasn't my fault. The lady I was talking to told me that there was not a problem, and she started me up a policy, and said the bill would come in the mail. Fantastic!! I finally got some coverage.

That was about a month ago. The other day I get a cancellation notice in the mail. The reason? "Your trail bike is too powerfull to be issued a policy at this time." Enclosed was a copy of my driving record, which showed my car accident as being an at fault. Immediately my blood reaches boiling point. This is a ******* outrage!

So today I call their office, and explained the entire situation to them.....How they assured me several times that everything looked fine, and even started up a policy! The lady then informs me that the reason my insurance was cancelled is because of the two incidents on my record!!! Huh?!?! I asked her why the letter I got said it was cancelled because the bike is too powerful. She didn't give me a straight answer. I asked her why I was sold a policy in the first place (when they obviously knew about my driving record), and asked her if their emplyoees even know the guidelines?!? Her response was a half-hearted, "Hmph."

So then I told her about how my driving record was incorrect. She said kept telling me that it didn't matter if the accicdent was at fault or not, it was still counted as two incidents. I told her she didn't understand, I didn't want an inaccuracy on my record. She didn't seem to get it.

I ended up hanging up on her. Her seemingly indifferent attitude towards the ignorance of their employees and lack-luster service had me to the point of using some colorful language. I'm going to call their head offices in Oregon, and explain that they have a branch down here in Coos Bay who have all their heads stuffed up their :moon:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Hummm... AllState HQ is not far from me, in Northbrook, Illinois. Want I should pay dem a little visit?

I despise insurance companies. They love to collect it, but rip you when you actually need to use it. Good luck.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Hah! Speaking of wanting to collect it.....

Just today I received a bill in the mail for $38, for 3 months coverage (cancellation date is Sept. 3)!!!! I'm not paying it.....as long as nothing drastic happens to my bike in the next month, I see no reason to fork over the dough. Them giving me the run around is fair trade in my book.

I mean, what are they gonna do if I don't pay? Cancel my policy?

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Kevin,

My cousin gives me a fair price policy through State Farm. Mine runs 120.00 a year for my 2000 KTM250exc fully covered.

I do have my other vehicles with him also.

I hear progressive insurance gives some excellant rates too.

YZ Joust

Master of Jackassery
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 21, 2002
State Farm gave me a quote of $468 every six months for a YZ250.... Keep in mind this was a quote w/o giving any personal info so my driving record wasn't even considered for the quote.... :silly: Insurance Companies are the :debil: :debil:

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
I pay $130 every year for State Farm. Total coverage, even uninsured motorist. We had a lot of probelms with allstate trying to screw us. We finally left. About a month after we left we got a call from one of the agents telling us that he would make sure my mom's record was screwed up for life if we left. All it was was a little scratch on my cousin's car. Needless to say, a few calls later they were running scared and denying everything. I will never ever do business again with allstate.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
My wife and I had problems with Allstate too. We were in an accident in 98 and it took them 3 years to pay off her medical bills. We were reported to a collection agency twice (by the hospital) and had to "challenge" it in order to get it taken off of our credit report. We switched to Progressive after that and paid half in insurance rates with the same policy! Now, we've moved to Florida, Progressive is doubling our rates, and we're changing to another company (esurance? Anybody heard of them?) that's offering us rates that are 1/3 of what Progressive is fixing to charge us, with the same policy! Geez! Will they ever get their s*** together? I would love to stay with one insurance company and not have to keep going through this!

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I got ripped off last fall, I'd been paying full coverage for over six months on a construction loan, they said everything would be covered :think: .
Then I get ripped off and the Insurance inspector asked If I lived there? No plumbing or electricity showed that I didn't, so I didn't lie, but said I'm next door.

Claim denied because it was not my primary residence :| 3 months later I get a letter of cancellation from them because dwelling was not up to living standards and lack of landscaping:think: It's a freaking construction site and after the people who owned it died 4 years ago not much got watered.

That was Safeco, and I lodged a complaint with the Washington State Insurance commissioner.

Any good Insurance people out there who won't bend us over ;)

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Allstate is screwing people on the other end, too. I work in the autoglass business, and Allstate has been screwing us for years. They also have taken all the profit out of the body shop business.

Allstate is responsible for the proliferation of glass replacement "networks" that are nothing more than profiteering middlemen. I haven't taken an Allstate claim in 10 years, and I never will again. They aren't concerned with the quality of the work being performed on their client's cars. . .just the price.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Argh! Insurance is the biggest racket out there! Talk about having to dole out "protection money"! :debil:

Case in point, since they're not making near enough money on the stock market now, not only have the Highway Districts rates gone up (from $66,000 to $79,500/yr), but we also have to pay the bill 6 months earlier. :| Crap! I can't bag on my local agent, though. She's done a lot for us and for me personally. Thankfully, my personal rates are still pretty good.

BigBore, have you checked with Mutual of Enumclaw?

Tod

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2002
I hear progressive insurance gives some excellant rates too.

Rates might appear good, but it may not be a bargin if they don't pay out when they should. A driver covered by progressive crashed into my car almost a year ago and they have tried every trick in the book to avoid paying. Now my best option is to sue the driver directly. :|

Before buying insurance, check with your state insurance commisioners office for complaints against the company. Here in Washington this info is even available on-line.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
My wife & I cancelled a policy on a vehicle we weren't using & they (Allstate) are charging us a $138 "canellation fee". What's that? We have used them for years & never even filed a claim! We refused to pay it & now they say they will get a collection agency on us. We dropped them & when my wife went to Farmer's ins. office to open a new policy, two people called w/ complaints of Allstate in the short time she was there :| . Allstate's the worst!!!

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Gotta love these guys, had a great $120 a year policy on the DRZ, move to Texas, bike gets stolen, and they want $600 a year for my Gas Gas, had to go with Progressive for $300. Does not help that I have a claim, and two speeding tickets in the past 3 years, best thing is, the speeding tickets were in a car, and this is a dirt bike ! These guys will do anything to land you with a higher premium. To add to the woes get a letter from the bank saying if I don't provide them with proof of insurance they are going to 'sell' me one at $700 a year. All this for a little old gas gas :ugg:

At least I'm not a youngster like BigBore, can only imagine how bad it could really get.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Allstate took a big hit with huricanes Hugo and Andrew. They've been sticking it to people ever since. I use Farm Bureau Insurance. $25 member fee per year but have everything covered. They have a very good record in Oklahoma. Even with all the natural disasters that happen in Oklahoma, Farm Bureau pulls through for its people.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Originally posted by BunduBasher
At least I'm not a youngster like BigBore, can only imagine how bad it could really get.

So far Progressive is the only other place I've gotten a quote from. It was some figure over $400 per year. Allstate was going to be $235.

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
My YZF is covered through Nationwide for $124 annually, and my KDX was only $112. I'm an old bas*ard though. Age makes a difference.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
We had all of our insurance policies with State Farm. It was convenient, but when the dirt bike insurance came due again, I switched my KTM to Progressive. Then we added Dave's bike and the old KDX to the same policy. With Progressive, our yearly rate for all three dirt bikes is now $128, and that's less than half of the total State Farm policies. We still keep our street bikes and cars with State Farm, though, because they have the best rates for those vehicles. Go figure.

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I have full coverage with no deductible. I have the same type of policy that's on my cars. Liability, comprehensive, etc.

DangerGirl

Aug 3, 2002
I agree with everyone on the frustration of finding a reasonable policy AND customer service.

Had nothing but heartache with Geico. Had them as an insurer and it was like pulling teeth. Went with Progressive which has been relatively uneventful until recently.

Was in a car accident (June 15) in which the other driver was at fault. I was furious at the time, because not only was she AT FAULT, but when a coworker stopped to ask if everyone was okay (it was about a quarter mile from the office) she irritatedly waved him off and said "Everyone's FINE" - * I * felt pretty messed up. And then she walks over and says "Let's get this over with.". I had the feeling that I should write down her driver's license and plate numbers (which I did) as well as her GEICO policy information.

Now my neck "looks like a slinky" (per the doctor - is that the medical term? lol ) and I have to drive an hour and change to go see the doctor every other day for an indeterminate amount of time. Progressive jumped right on the ball to get me paid (lost wages/medical bills) and make sure that I was being taken care of properly. Geico has written me off until the course of treatment is finished and then they will make the assessment as to how much will be paid. I do understand this is protocol, but getting to this point was a big hassle with them. In calling to make sure that I was within their guidelines, I was streated like a booger almost every time.

Now don't EVEN get me started on the medical/short term disability insurance horsesh*t.

And yes, I know that in my brief tenure here, I have already established my penchant for long rambling diatribes. Forgive me, I'll take my soap box and go now. :aj:

Last edited:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
AAA. suck's
AIG suck's
Auto owner's so far so good, but give them time, cheap rate's. though

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
YOU all think its bad, I work for them, in the claims.....
Needless to say, I insure my bike thru progressive, best rate, but there service sucks, was the worst claim exp.
I break myself into bits, they try to deny the claim, stating that even though I wasnt in a race, paying to ride on a track constitutes it, i advised no, They paid the claim in whole though, all my bike dmge and gear was covered. My buddies went back to the track, the owner told them the progressive rep called up there snooping around to see if I was racing and so forth...
I can tell you about rates though, they are all going up everywhere, there is way too much fraud going on, and some companies dont even want to do homeowners anymore.... Bottom line is that all insurance companies are businesses, just like 7-11 to your cycle shop, they provide service, but they cant stay in business if they dont make the money.
I suggest you try progressive, they will be easier, but for some reason, even tho it is an off road bike, they want to know what your drivers license history is, doesnt make sense to me either..... :ugg:

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I've been with AllState for 8 years now. I've been in one accident, my fault, and they took very good care of me and my truck. I think it comes down to your agent more than the company itself. If your agent is a good one they'll do whatever it takes to see to it that you are taken care of. I do know that AllState increased my rates this last policy renewal, but they did that to everyone. :whiner:

Top Bottom