RedRyder

Mar 29, 2001
Yeah, I guess you're right about the heat/sealing. But I still think they are lighter and won't get bent.

But really, I hardly ever use my rear brake for slowing down, I use the front. I would love a disc up front, but I have no problems with a drum on the rear wheel.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hey Red Ryder, wait until you get on something with disc brakes--you will be amazed at how much better they are. I had an XR 200 for a year and I was the same, I never used my rear brake. Now that I have a KTM I am surprised at what a useful tool it can be and how much more I depend on it. Not necessarily for coming to a stop but for turning and controlling speed and handling.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
right. I thought the same thing when i had my xr 80. My cr...well I can flip myself over the bars with my pinki finger and sliding is a breeze, I dont actually have to push down, just let the foot rest on the pedal and it will lock right up

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by BigBore :
"I've had several bikes with drum brakes. I got tired of taking the wheel off after every ride to clean them, having the brakes fade, get hot or lock up unpredictably during a ride, and having weak stopping power."

First off let me admit that <gulp> YES discs are better.
But drums are far from the usless powerless items that you younguns are making them out to be.
BigBore, you must be dragracing in a swamp or something. Ive been riding over 30 years and rarely have had to clean out a drum.
And since i dont race ive only gotten one hot enough to fade maybe 2 or 3 times. (on a XL500R)
Besides WHY do you need discs on a 14 BHP foo foo bike?
so you can LOOK like the big motoX guys? please.
My double leading shoe front brake will all but do "stoppies", and at my age thats pushing things.

:think

Jun 25, 2000
CRF 230

I saw a pre production CRF 230 (and 150) at the International Motorcycle Show in Philadelphia a couple of weeks ago. They look more up to date than the current XR 100/200 that they are going to replace. But, I believe they are more cosmetically updated than anything else.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
OnAnySunday is right, I rode with rum brakes for a good part od 3 decades :eek: and they do sloww you down and really are not so bad on a trail ride. They are not even close to a disk but YOU should be using your front brake anyway!:p They are not as prone to rocks though!:cool:

OK now you know, I've dated myself I'm old, I'm slow and I love it:cool:

Kevin

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
<<Besides WHY do you need discs on a 14 BHP foo foo bike? >>

The brakes on my XR200R were perfectly adjusted, waterproofed (as much as possible), and darned near as good as you could get with drum brakes.

They were also inconsistent and grabby. If we did a few creek crossings in cold weather I didn't know what I'd get when I hit the brakes the next time. It could be anything from quick, inconsistent stopping to absolutely nothing, or something in between.

Given the choice, yes, no matter how little power an engine puts out, I'd rather have a brake which reacts EXACTLY the same way, every time I actuate it.

BTW, the the drum brakes on the XR200 weigh much more than the disk on the XR250. There may be lighter drum setups out there, and heavier disks, but these are the only two that I have intimate knowledge of.

The ONLY reason the manufacturers still utilize drum brakes in some applications is cost.

Yes, I agree, drum brakes 'aren't that bad'. But they aren't that good either!

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I constantly had problems with drum brakes, mostly on my XR200. The 500 wasn't as bad, since I could rely more on the front disc, and that kinda took some load off the rear (even though the rear still had crummy stopping power). They would get hot/dirty/wet, glaze over and get grabby. It is not fun to have a grabby front brake on a long, steep pucker downhill. Yeah, I mostly use my front brake, but I use my rear break a whole lot too. I never really had to take apart the drum and clean it out, just had to get that glaze off the shoes so they would work normally. I'm not taking a shot at anybody's bike, but, there are zero advantages to drum brakes.

How well a drum brake works for you depends on what you ride, where you ride, and how hard you ride I guess.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom