kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
anyone familiar with casting flaw behind the flywheel and stator inherent to kdx's?according to fredette there is a thin spot in the case directly behind the stator plate that can leak.I am curios to know if it is present in 02 220 model.If anyone has any knowledge or experience with this matter please describe what evidence lead you to it.Was there signs of leakage (oily residue) on the flywheel,stator or engine case behind the cover?Reason for asking is this when I was getting bike ready to be moved inside for winter after draining the tank and running the carb dry I was able to hear a faint hissing noise coming from where the wiring exits the case.A little soap solution indicated that it was in fact pressurized.Could it be possible that some spilled fuel from tank draining made it in to this area and was boiling off on the hot engine?Everything behind the cover is spotless even went as far as wiping down with a q-tip looking for oil traces and nothing.Any ideas?

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
I have a leak in mine that I can't quite track down. Might be it. I never heard of it before, so I don't know. Do you have more details about the leak itself?????

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
The info I have came from Fredette's maintenance and set-up video.The leak is a result of thin casting in the web area of the bearing boss.When machining the bearing pocket this thin area gets very thin like aluminium foil.It will appear almost like a crack with oil leaking through it when veiwed with the mag and stator removed.Jeff also adds that most people confusingly think that the seal is the problem.The method he uses to determine the root cause is where there is oil evidence,is it seeping from the bottom of the seal or the area around the seal.My bike runs very good and gives no indication that its running lean and there is no oil evidence behind the mag cover so seal leak does'nt seem likely.Just trying to track down where that pressure was coming from.Not really enthused about pulling the mag i'm sure the puller is a fortune from kaw and after market stuff does'nt impress me either.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
do you think that maybe the air escaping from the wire grommet in the stator case could be due to the trapped air behind the cover having gotten hot due to the engine heat and be under pressure? just a thought..

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
On Eric Gorr's old site and in his first book, there was mention of a Team Green bulleting on this problem for a KX60 (and maybe others??). It related to three divots in the crankcase in the area you mentioned.

What year KDX is being worked on in the video? Is it a 1989 - 1994 model? I read those models have a problem, but have never heard of a 1995 and newer model having one. Also, how long is the video?

You can use $2 of cheap rope to hold the flywheel steady, then use a $15 Dana Stubblefield Sales puller. I have done it on mine a couple of times.

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
My bike is an 01,the year of the bike in the video maybe in that pre 95 era.It has the inverted forks but with fredette who knows,thought it could have had a nose transplant.The idea that it is air expanding and escaping did enter my mind.The fact that the wiring passes by the carb and is clamped down air tight makes me wonder if the protection tube that houses the wiring also acts as a breather venting that area of the case to a high point to prevent water and dirt intrusion is exacerbating the problem.Yes this is the same location/defect described in gorr's book.Jeff's video is on set-up and maintenance it's well over an hour maybe close to two.Everytime I reference it I just go to the section i'm looking for.Have not watched whole thing in some time

Top Bottom