02yz85

May 1, 2002
seems to be rich from the factory, foul plugs pretty quick, i went to 40:1 till i played with the jets. do a search on yz85 jetting. bike is strong mid to top end. enjoy....

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Eric,
My little guy has an '03 and the wife has an '02 yz 85.
I say on Team T that you just picked it up. break it in slow. run the entire tank of 15:1 out then 32:1 w/ Yam2r. After the first tank switch the plug to a 9 and she will be fine. We hope to see you at TNT on Sunday if you guys are there.

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
Hey dave-
We ran out the initial 15:1 yamalube that came in it, then I filled it with the honda mix that I use on my cr @ 32:1. The bike ran good, she didn't foul one plug. Spooge was running down the bottom of the silencer, but I think it was all from the 15:1. She loves it, now it's just a matter of her learning it. I don't know if we broke in slow though...it was too tempting.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Eric,
welcome to the gang!!!
glad to hear you guys had a great weekend and an looking forward to meeting ya all.
Are you planning on TNT this weekend? We will be @ Top Gun Saturday and heading down in the morning Sunday.
It's nice having several bikes of the same stroke...fuel is not so much an issue. Has your daughter tried the 85 yet?

Originally posted by an idiot
Yeah, i do. They suck, get a Honda...
wow! three post's and not one brain cell. :|

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
The daughter hasn't tried it yet, she's going to stick with the xr for a while.
we were at tnt over the weekend. Were you guys there? I did see a few newer yz85's heading into the track. we were there some on Fri night, and then again from Saturday night to Monday morning. We were in a white ford explorer with a 3-rail trailer. No weekend plans as of yet...

mxchamp85

Apr 26, 2003
I bought a Yz 85 about 6 months ago and began racing it. The only problem i have encountered so far would be the fouling of the plugs. I have begun to realize that this is just a trait of yamaha's for some reason. however, i found that if you switch to 36:1 or 40:1, the bike didnt seem to foul as many. I also ran the plug splitfire makes for the 03 yz 85 and havent fouled it yet. That combination should do you good.

One last thing....If you keep the gearing in stock form, you encounter some lack of low end. What i did was go down one tooth on the front and up 2 one the back, and that did the trick.

02yz85

May 1, 2002
MXCHAMP85:

did you keep the stock jetting? im running 40:1 also. does the slitfire have a # on it, will it work on a 02 model? by changing the gears, did you lose top end? where did you order the sprockets from? thanks.

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
Hmmmm..So far the wife has not fouled one plug. She even did trail riding with it running way rich. Spooge still runs out of and down the silencer, but no plugs fouled yet.

I may do some sprocket playing and try to get her some more bottem end for the woods.

Down 1 and up 2 seems way drastic. How did it work out?

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Originally posted by Niel Diamond
Yeah, i do. They suck, get a Honda...

That was uncalled for. :flame:

I would watch the clutch. Maybe Whyzee can help with this. I know a few in this area that didn't seem to last(the clutch that is). Other than that you should be real happy with it the are nice bikes.:thumb:

Last edited:
Top Bottom