Nozza

May 2, 2009
Hi there

After about 15 years away from motocross i've finally got myself another bike. I used to have a 74 YZ125a and am now the proud ower of a (possible) 1981 CR80 red rocket. I've picked it up this morning and am now trying to find any sort of library pictures of how they looked straight out of the factory. Cant find anything on google images.

Also i want to decipher the engine and frame numbers but cant find anything on that either!

Am I looking in the wrong places?

I'm Stephanie by the way!

:cool:

Mad Norris

May 1, 2009
Hi Stephanie,
I'm a new member too, so I can't post a direct link, but google for bikepics, click on the Honda link, then CR80, and then scroll down to 1981. There are plenty of detailed pics there to get you going.

Is the bike running? Are you going for a full restore?

Nozza

May 2, 2009
Thats great! I never knew about that!

I've always been a Yamaha girl but I cant wait to start getting my hands dirty on this one! I bought it off ebay and the guy that had it before says he started to restore it but to be honest all the paint work needs doing again and there are a few cables and a bit of wiring that will have to be done. Needs new wheels and tyres and i wouldnt mind finding some new plastics for it from somewhere.

I'm trying to figure out how i can decode the engine and frame numbers so i know for definate which year it is. The guy i bought it from also advertised it as a 110cc which i thought may be a 100 that had been bored out but i'm looking forward to riding again whatever it is!

what about you mad norris? what have you got?

Mad Norris

May 1, 2009
Check out cyclechaos, they list all the CR80 models, and the differences for each year, and the serial numbers. I think the 1980 was the only year with the red engine.

I have:
1978 Suzuki TS100 (engine rebuilt, but needs CDI unit)
1972 Suzuki TS250 (running ok, but the carb is leaking, carb kit on the way in post)
1971 Yamaha DT1 250 (runs great, very good condition)

I've been a Yamaha guy since my first yammy 50 (in 1974), so the DT1 is now my pride and joy. I only bought it last week (on impulse), and I haven't even got it home yet. I'm counting the hours... :D

Top Bottom