Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Alright, heres my problem. I have a 94 KX 250 with Boyeson Power Reeds, Pro-Circuit Pipe and Silencer, Stock Gearing. My bike runs pretty good, but it could be more zippy off the bottom. It doesn't bog, it just seems like it is running rich, it also blows more smoke than I would like. I ride at 4000-6000' usually at about 80 degrees F. I have a 152 Main, 40 Pilot, Needle Clip 2nd position, Pilot 2 turns out. Klotz R50 40:1, BR8ES Plug. I am pretty sure my bike is still rich, especially off the bottom. My plugs are coming out black but not wet. But here is my real dillema, I am pretty sure I need to go LEANER on my pilot, but I can't find one smaller than 40. I have checked like 4 local dealers and none of them have one, any suggestions? Thanks!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
No Replies guys? I'm kinda disapointed...;)

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I'm pretty sure it's not my p/valves. I only have 6-8 hours since my rebuild. It isn't really a lack of power, just more of a lack of response. When I give it 1/4 throttle it goes brap braaap brap braap brap brap instead of brrrrraaaaaappppp. I know you probably aren't understanding this, but it is hard to explain!

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
I am almost positive smaller pilot jets are available if they are are special ordered. If this doesn't work try leaning the throttle slide cutaway. There is much discussion on this topic elswhere in this forum. Check the mods and performance section where myself and others have something to say about this subject.

Your ridin' bud Kurt

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Where are you in UT?

Call South Valley in Sandy (801-576-1899) and ask for Brandon. Tell him Todd told you to call. I'm sure I have a 38 pilot at home, so they are available.

smooth sail

Dec 10, 2001
Give Sudco a call at 323-728-5407. If it is available (as far as jets), they either have it or can get it. Triple taper Kawasaki needles are a different story. I have found Boyesen reeds often need a leaner main also. Fuel quality and type also play a part. Do a search on this site for "fuel" for more info. Also, touch this link for a very good resource on jetting info: http://ericgorr.com/techarticles/carbtuning.html
Smooth

Last edited:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Thanks a lot for the replys! I do have boyeson power reeds. KX-727 where in Utah are you at? I'm in Taylorsville. I stopped over at Plaza Cycle today, they also say the smallest is 40. I have also visited Cycle Hause, Mountain High, and 2 other small shops to no avail! Would a different slide cutaway be the way to go? I hear that they are expensive! Would a different needle do anything? Well, I think I'm going to try to get a smaller pilot first...

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Could be Ken.

I'd avoid Plaza at all cost. They just picked up Kawasaki in the last couple of months, and I've never had any good dealings with them before that. I can give you many horror stories, but not here. South Valley is the shop I'd recommend for KX and YZ's in the SLC area.

I just checked Carb Parts Warehouse. Keihin makes a 35 and 38 for that carb. That's the problem with were you went. They just checked the fiche from Kawi, which only lists down to a 40.

Ken is right though, a 40 should be lean enough for our altitude. Check the float height as that could cause a problem if it is too high.

Last edited:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
KX-727. Yeah, I would never buy a BIKE from Plaza...they only sell to newbies. I was just there because they have a lot of parts. Horror stories about Plaza, there are plenty! I went in there once and asked the guy at the counter "What oil has been running good in KX250's?" and he says "Well, is that a two stroke or a four stroke.) I just started laughing, anyways. I am pretty sure my crank seal isn't leaking, 100%. My bike runs fine, just needs some fine tuning. I'll check the float height, adjust according, and report back. I'm going down to Little Sahara today, so I'll post back tonight.
Thanks for your help everybody. Sweet.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Alright, here is the update. I am no longer worried about throttle response, I am worried about having a bike to ride AT ALL. Today when I was at Little Sahara, my transmission/bottom end blew up. Read my new post...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom