YZ kid

Nov 14, 2001
Ok. I have a 96 YZ125 right now. It has Pro series carbon fiber reeds, fmf gold series fatty with power core II silencer with new packing, tmx carborator. I just put a new top end in it. Ever since i bought it i have had no power in the bike. I thought it just needed a rebuild but it didn't seem to help. I watch other 125s and find that they how so much more power than mine. You would think that with all the mods i have put into it that it would gain some power somewhere. It is kind of depressing to see other bikes riding by on wheelies and mine having trouble getting up in second. The only way i can get it up in second is by popping it in second.:ugg: I have ridden some other bikes and the power just rips mine to shreds. I would like to know what is wrong. Is my bike just too worn out or something? What can i do to fix my problem?

YZ kid

Nov 14, 2001
I already had a good look at the packing and it is fine. I even took the silencer off and individually poked out each of the holes in the silencer core. NOTHING!!!!!!!

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
Could be a lot of things

Air leak in the intake, power valve not operating, timing off, BAD GAS/OLD GAS, carb not properly jetted, piston installed backwards,etc etc.. Did you install all the mods yourself? Does it develop power at any RPM? Have you ridden another 96, like yours for comparison? What size tire is on the rear? All or any of those things need to be resoved.

Kaw_Boy_5

Apr 18, 2001
Did you check compression when you rebuilt. I had one I rebuilt and then found out the problem was a worn cylinder that even with a fresh tope end it did not have good compression. Sounds similiar to what you are experiencing

YZ kid

Nov 14, 2001
How do i check to see if it has good compression?? I did not install all of these mods myself. The only mods i did was reeds and top end. But it didn't have power b4 i bought it isn't anything to do with me installing anything improperly.

Kaw_Boy_5

Apr 18, 2001
You will need a compression gauge that threads into the spark plug hole. You can get one at any auto store. I think someone else can help with what a good compression reading number for a 125 such as yours would be.

Kaw_Boy_5

Apr 18, 2001
Are you from Michigan or Alabama. It obviously has some compression but if the bike is say at 130 psi instead of 160 it definatly will not have the power that it should.

S

Saratoga

If you have never cleaned the power valves then this would be the first thing to do. On most bikes you can remove the power valve cover and watch it turn as you rev the bike in idle. If the valves are stuck in one position, power will be way down just like you described. Do not waste time wondering or asking everyone how to do this. Go buy a manual and start maintaining your bike to get optimum performance.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Originally posted by marcusgunby
im thinking powervalve not working.

My first guess would be this also. One way to test if it is the power valve, is to ride it a bit , then come in and take the cover off and disconnect the power valve arm, put the cover back on, and ride it the same way you just did. You should notice an incredible loss of power, if not then you know it has some thing to do with the valve.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
I have the same bike and even at 122 psi the thing still screams. When you put the new top end on it did you clean the power valve set up? If you don't even know how to do a compression test then why did you do the top end? Anyway, start with the power valve, DO a comp test so you have a baseline for future ref. Dump ALL the fuel, change the oil in the tranny, set your carb to stock settings, check your reed set up, CLEAN and OIL a NEW filter, and buy good gas and pre-mix. Once you have the motor right, change your gearing: either a 12 tooth or a 52 rear, not both.

B]Ever since i bought it i have had no power in the bike.[/B] Then why did you buy it? I hope you got a steal deal.

Is my bike just too worn out or something? What can i do to fix my problem?
Sell it to me, I'll give you $100.00 you pay shipping;)

Dave

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by 96whyzee125
I have the same bike and even at 122 psi the thing still screams.
Dave

Dave, mine also has a round 130 psi and it rips. Is that amount of psi low or what it should be for our bikes? I hear that other 125's have 170 or 180. Should our compression be that low? Marcus, Eric??

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
On a 125, we should be lucky to be at 155 - 160 on a new top end, so I’ve now been hearing. I heard the 170 -180 and ripped mine down and sent it to Eric, thinking I was way off the charts. Well it is a good thing I did, the bridge had some scaring. Curious to see what the 133 will have as far as psi. However, I recommend if you are going to do a top end, have a gauge! Check it before you tear down, and check it immediately upon torquing the last head bolt. I went out and bought a second one just to make sure the reading was right. Don’t guess and screw something up by rolling the back tire to start the engine through the transmission.

Mike you should post a thread re: frame hole cleaning. It is a good point
Dave

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Checking the compression won’t tell you everything. It is only an indication that something is wearing out. The only way to know for sure if the rings, piston or cylinder is worn is to tear it down and measure it. Until then you are just grasping at straws.

On my 250 the compression new is 210 and I recently checked it and it was 190. You’d think all was well but when I tore it down, the rings and piston were both out of spec and needed to be replaced.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
I agree a compression test will not tell you the full story, it is a guide, look at your situation, 210 to 190, that is almost 10 percent. I believe that’s the rule of thumb to use. Without a gauge, all you are doing is guessing.
Dave

cr250

Oct 28, 1999
Ok I have the same bike...same problem I found that by adjusting the carb properly and making sure I have the correct ratios ...ie sprocket sizes that I could get it to run great...however slight changes in the sprocket size made noticable differences..also check powervalves...mine were horrible when I finally got around to cleaning them and I noticed a big difference in performance.
Good luck
Vanessa

Top Bottom