BIke stopped! and wont Start! Help!

bully_23

Apr 22, 2005
Hello everybody,
I am a very big newbie and have had my bike for a bit over 3 months, it conked out this afternoon whilst riding, when I tried to start it up again the kickstart lever was stuck and wouldn't go all the way down. After I pushed it all the way back to my shed the kickstart lever had loosened up but it still wouldn't start and when it sounded like it would it lets out a loud noise then dies.

I do not know much about bikes yet, but I assume its engine related? please help me out, Thanks in advance
BuLlY

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Did the bike bog out and die, or did the engine stop quickly like it locked up?
Were you running premix in it?
Did you let it sit those 3 months with gas in the carburetor, and then not clean it?
Can you better describe this "loud noise"? Is it rattling, knocking, grinding, playing music, what?

My first guess (without better info) would be that the bike seized up, either because of lack of lubrication or a lean issue. I would first pull the spark plug and see what it looks like. I would also pull the pipe and use a flash light to look into the port at the piston and cylinder to check for signs of damage. I'm pretty sure there will be some, which means next the cylinder comes off.

bully_23

Apr 22, 2005
Well It was more like it it stopped quickly the opposite of what happens when you run out of gas. I'm running premix, carby not sure I havn't cleaned it not sure how maybe i'll give it a shot any tips on how to go about doing this. The bike seems like it has seized up but it has a top end thats only a couple months old so I don't think it should have worn out on me.

kkencr250

Sep 25, 2006
If you were riding and the bike just stopped like the motor seized and you weren't able to kick the kickstart, my guess would be your main bearings seized. Happened to me once, I was going fine and all of the sudden the motor locked up. Provide some more detailed info on how this happenend and i'm sure you will be able to get some good answers here.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I didn't mean that cleaning the carb will fix it. I think that maybe the carb was gummed up and therefor the bike ran lean, seizing the engine. It doesn't matter if the top end is 15 years old or 15 minutes old, you can seize it up.

Like I stated above, I think your cylinder will be coming off. Then you can rotate the bottom end to feel for damage, and inspect the piston/cylinder for damage.

bully_23

Apr 22, 2005
changed the plug and it fired right up,... didnt expect that to happen. The mechanics checking out now ill get back to you all on what was wrong with it

Top Bottom