ollski

Apr 7, 2006
Hi guys, if I turn the lights off on my 1999 kdx 220r and use the brake the brake light bulb blows, does anyone know if these use a zener diode which may be shot or if there is anything I can do which may resolve it?

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
As far as I know the rear light is just a regular ID light bulb it is not a brake light. It isnt connected to your brakes in anyway and doesnt get brighter or flash when you apply the brakes. It is just a simple filament bulb that lights up when you energize the headlight. The fact that they are just simple filament type bulbs is part of the reason why they blow so easily, the vibration pays a toll on them before they ever really get a chance to burn out.

Unless you have some other set up on your bike.

Waffle

Oct 19, 2004
If you're talking about the stock taillight set-up I blew mine out on a regular basis (every couple rides) until I upgraded to an LED. Even the LED gets trashed in a season of riding.

If you have a brakelight set-up on your bike and it works with the headlight switched off I'd say you're probably blowing it because you're sending 40 watts to a 5 watt bulb. If you rewire to have the brakelight pulling power from the taillight circuit you shouldn't have that problem.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Consider this:

(**warning** What follows comes from someone that never seen an overseas KDX in his life!)

The US KDX is wired such that the regulator is only 'on' when the lights are 'on'. While it seems silly to even imagine such a thing...maybe yours is different? Check the voltage at the switch. See if it's right.

BTW...if you have a brazillion watt source (correct voltage) hooked up to WHATever sized light..it will work just fine. I can guess that Waffle means to say that maybe your souce is unregulated when the headlight is off....which is the same thing I just said.

Note he's in the US, too! ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom