bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
I run a 2001 YZ250 with a FMF SST pipe and a 'shorty' silencer, which is of course not forest legal. I looked into (i actually have one on order) a COBRA SPARKY bolt on spark arrestor. i really liked the idea of this item, since i can ride MX tracks without a big long silencer hanging out of the back of the bike and then i can bolt on the COBRA when i go to the desert. In addition, it only costs $55 rather than $125 for a complete new powercore II silencer.

But, i finally got a reply from FMF support and they said not to use the COBRA because it would cause loss of power (which also contradicts the claims of COBRA!).

i really like the set up of the COBRA system, and a small loss of power is not too big an issue for me since i only ride for fun.

does anyone have any experience or suggestions with these matters?? and will the bolt on COBRA cause any additional problems which would be a greater concern of mine (eg. messed up jetting or mechanical troubles etc.), or should i send the COBRA back and save up for the full powercore spark arrestor?

thanks in advance

bruce

ps: dear moderator, sorry to replicate this thread here but i think where i had it before wasnt a general enough forum...many appolgies :D

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
FWIW, my '89 CR250 I had years ago had a PC pipe & 304 silencer, & no one made a silencer w/ Spark arrestor for it when I bought it in '98 or '99. So I called PC & they recommended a Sparky, & said it wouldn't alter power characteristics or require a change in jetting. Like I would have known how to change the jetting anyway ;)

I'm interested to see if anyone here agrees w/ FMF. If you don't get a good answer, I'd say go w/ the Sparky & see if you can notice a difference. Better yet, do a blind test. Have a buddy agree to install/not install the Sparky for you. Don't look to see if it's on or off, then ride a while. Come in, have him uninstall/not uninstall & go out again. I'll bet you the cost of shipping to return the Sparky that you won't be able to tell the difference.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
thanks Zio, i will probaly stick with the cobra since it is on its way. the power wasnt rerally the issue, even if i lose 5% power thats still more than i can handle anyway :D

my main concern was if it would mess anything up, but i will remember to check my plug etc.

i will post all results accordingly

thanks,
bruce

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Interesting reply from FMF. It seems to me that they are in the bizness of selling spark arrestor/silencers. So, I wouldn't lend much credibility to their reply about another company's product.

Well, I have some experience with Cobra's Sparky Spark Arrestor. I used on for years on my KTM 250. The Sparky is a screen type spark arrestor, and you should experience no power loss whatsoever when the unit is new and clean. The screen is contained in a module. As you ride your bike, the screen will accumulate carbon on it. As it becomes clogged, you could possible notice a decrease in power.

The screen module needs to be cleaned on a periodic basis. I knew guys who cleaned the carbon off by heating the unit with a torch. Personally, I'm not a torch guy. I used to just soak the thing in a gallon of carb cleaner for a few days (during the week) and it would be clean and good as new.

Needless to say, this spark arrestor should do exactly what you want it to do. The only think that it won't help you with is sound output.

FWI, Cobra was a sponsor of team Suzuki Off-Road in the early 90's. Hawkins used to run the sparky welded onto an aftermarket silencer on his RMX. I don't however remember if he was using FMF or PC at the time.

Hope this information helps you with your decision.

SndyRds

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 1, 2001
I have run the Cobra on different bikes over the years. No problems to speak of. I run spark arrestors, even though I have never seen or heard of sparks coming out of a bike. But how bad would you feel IF you ran without one and a fire started by natural causes (lighting) and you were riding in the area. Plus it's good PR for all of us to be user friendly with our outdoor nieghbors and wildlands.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Thanks guys, i think the sparky is the way to go! as for cleaning, it shouldnt be a big deal since it will be on and off the bike when i ride either MX tracks or the desert. i did notice also that the sparky is rebuildable and that the screen can come out and be replaced so the lifetime shouldnt be an issue either

cheers

bruce

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom