bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
ok, i probably wouldnt need to ask this if i had a CR since their stock pads are great, but i feel the yamaha pads arent that good and mine are ready for change.

any suggestions, experience either good or bad?

application, 01 YZ mainly MX....i want good stopping power, but a reasonable pad life is also important

thanks

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Bruce,
EBC offers them in 2 flavors, Kevlar or Metallic.
I have the metallic ones and they have worn well for my style of riding but I don't know about MX.

Good Luck,

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I like the Dunlopad's aka DP Sport aka Moose, They have high heat disapation levels. They typically wear good and offer better feel but what would really give better feel is ditching the floating disc up front for a non floating one aka Honda setup. The floating disc's give the bike a sorta loose head steering bearings feeling, rock your bike with the brake on and you'll feel it. Its not way better in actual stopping power but it does feel better to me. It felt like to me the engagment got alittle more precise and alittle more progessive. Just a suggestion on other than just pads. Now on My bud's '01 250F he has on it an aftermarket (not sure who) 320mm non floating disc with EBC "green" pads as he calls'em (they don't last very long but) with a CR front brake line mounting. Talk about literally almost putting me on my head power!

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
You may have nailed it with the Yamaha pads. I replaced my worn pads with new, Yamaha pads and a CR style, braided front hose and am dissapointed that the braking wasnt significantly better. My 92 has the same routing, cable, and EBC Kevlar pads and stops considerably better. I am going to try a different pad material, as I think that must be the culprit. I'm looking at the same EBC's that my 92 wr has for my 98 yz. If you try them, please post here.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i like the sounds of this....nowt stops like a honda! cheers mate, how do i know which ones to get though? maybe i should take my old ones in to the local tossers, oops i mean dealers

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Bruce as far as i know all calipers on late model jap bikes have the same pad dimensions .Same on the rear apart from the very late crs with the smaller caliper.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Bruce - Call Service Honda, they can take care of you for a good price.

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
The most reasonably priced pads you can get in Europe (at least here in Germany) are those from BRAKING. They have soft and sintered pads. The soft ones give a good feel and decent stopping power but don't last very long in mud. We get them here for 18 to 20 € a pair. The sintered pads last longer and usually have the same price tag.
Also you can go to www.braking.com and download their catalogue (.pdf-files) in which you'll find a cross-reference table with the part numbers of various aftermarket pad suppliers.
And Marcus is right, all the japanese MX bikes have the same pads with the exception of the '98 Yamaha 400, which had different rear pads.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I would not get sintered pads. M friend used them and they wore his rotor down to the point he had to have it filed down some. I'd rather be replacing pads than rotors. Also, Honda pads stop the best, but I think EBC's kevlar ones have a much longer pad life and have reasonably good stopping power. I replaced my stock pads with EBC kevlar ones and can still endo VERY easily.
That leads me to another question...what's the longest endo anyone has done? I got one for about 20 feet and then the bike started going sideways so i let off. It's fun but don't turn your rotors blue trying to do endos too much, lol.

Top Bottom