2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Hey

Anyone else besides Scar and myself doing UMC enduro?

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Got your message Thumbs.

C'mon Eel, make the drive there is an open bunk in chez Kuncklehead.

BTW, Rekluse-Pro installed. Ill give a report.

nonickname

Mar 9, 2004
Hey Chris, did Scar get onto one of our minutes? I think he was going to call the UMC ref, but I hadn't heard back.

Also, is this the 1st ride with the Rekluse? I rode prospectors last year as the 1st ride, and I'm not sure if I'd recommend it. I love it now, but I had several stoopid moments during the race because I was getting used to it.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Ill Call Scar on my drive home if he made it or not.

As for the Rekluse, yes it will be the first ride on the yz with it, but I had the KTM with the z-start regular with perch adjuster and lever override for 4 years, so it wont be new to me. BUT nothing will stop me from countless stoopid moments............ Also, I think its safe to say you can take the Eels bunk, Im heading out Saturday after my 6yo's hockey around 1ish.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Chris I got your call yesterday. Unfortunately no UMC for me this year, but I am interested in the play ride you spoke about in Feb.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
2strok4fun said:
yes it will be the first ride on the yz with it << Ed add: cheater bike #2, w/off-road engine/suspension nonpareil >> but I had the KTM << cheater bike #1, w/enduro power to die for >> with the z-start regular with perch adjuster and lever override for 4 years, so it wont be new to me.

The pilot certainly has the skill to fully exploit the tools at his disposal. Therefore we expect nothing less than a customary-class win come Sunday.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
UMC ride report

Sorry John- no class win, I am enjoying cheater bike #2, even tho I still grabbed handfuls of clutch every time I got on the brakes, I did manage to the Rekluse do the dirty work on the hills.

Jeff- come on out, nonickname presents club ride in mid Feb at outlet center. Should be fun.

This is how UMC went for me.....

Left the house at about 1:40 Sat afternoon which got me to camp at ~4:00. I always forget that once you get to Lucerne Valley, your not there yet. I find Mule at sign-ups as I pull in and we spot the trailer with TWMC. I preferred UMC's camp location spot this year without the additional 3-4 miles of whooped dirt road to get to a camp location with a sand trap with my name. Not stuck in sand = good.

~~~~NoNick Mule and I set 3 alarms to ensure we make our early lines on time. After turning off my cell alarm and snooze for a few more minutes, I wake in panic at 7:45, not having enough time to suit up, have breakfast and make it to the start on time.~~~~ I wake up before the part where I arrive at the start naked. Must be first race jitters...

The morning is chilly, no, its COLD. Ice had encrusted the bikes and truck, something I havent seen in the dez in while. Directions to the start were marked well enough, well enough that is until that big rock pile that I skirted just to the left of missing the best hidden check of the race, the start line. Someone from an early minute let me know that I had missed the start and I race back with a minute to spare. Phew.

First loop was tougher than usual for first loop fun 5. I dont think it was too hard for first loop stuff, just the prescribed speeds were fairly brisk early on. I arrive to the first check 2 seconds into the next minute, dang nabit, 2 seconds. Oh well, that the way the clock crumbles. My goal for this ride was to ride as hard as I could but maintaining a pace easy/safe enough to stave off my double vision problem and I kept the urge to wick it up reined in. On another check-out I spot the check knowing I am down, glance down at the puter to see it click into -2. I hammer it in to the check on full lock and low side to avoid crashing into Garry all ready in the check. They mark my card 10.01. Another dang nabit 1 second away from being only 1 minute down, instead I pick up the full 2. My plea for the 1 second grace for "entertainment value" went unsatisfied.

Second loop, hands cramped 100yds off the line, not good, I knew it would be fast and tough and I wanted to make up as much time in the 3 for free. The most fun I had during the course was in the section right before the 10 minute break. I was working hard to stay on pace and would be up and down. That is the kind of enduro riding I like to do- ride hard AND timekeep. Well, there was no check before the break which if it was a check I would have zeroed. I asked Andy if I could have a "ata boy" for my on time arrival, I plan to use the "ata boy" to throw the decision my way in the event of a tie (little know enduro rule). From the break on, there was no more timekeeping for me, just go. Rocks was the name of the game for the second loop and the scenery didnt change much, glad I left the front trials tire on as the small amount of initial plushness and anti deflection helps. I managed to go down a couple of times on walking pace stuff, no issues. I had intermittent hand and muscle cramps which made standing a challenge.

I finished with 11minutes for the 2 loops which wont win any trophys but Im happy with my ride non the less. I have some optimisim that the eyball surgery will help with the amblyopia, besides the vision problem is only really a problem in rocks and whoops.

Last edited:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Ride report

after getting home late from supercross sat night, i decided to drive out early am. I alway misjudge the time to lucerne, i plan for 1 1/2 hrs and it always takes closer to 2. I arrive at 730, the race starts at 800 and i'm on minute 8 :yikes:
i scamble through sign ups and of course get behind the guy who was preregistered but wanted to ride w his buddy who wasn't and the friendly registration people are trying to help him out. tick tick tick 745 -750 tick tick tick. i get through unload partialy gear up run through sound check (no line, whew) and head to the start which was a ways from camp, I get there at 804 my starts at 808 . in my haste i forgot my jacket (it was 20 degrees) and kidney belt, ( no problem, they never have rocks in these things anyway.)

I hadn't raced in a year to to injury and kids sports so I wasn't expecting much. when I wasn't early to the 1st loop 2.9 marker, I quickly accessed how the race was set up.

The first loop was unexciting and just a get you tired loop with whoops, sand washes and then sand whoops. maybe 2 easy hill climbs but mostly flat and uninspired course. the speeds were fast to make you work to keep up but you could easily ride everything (even the splits marked hard way)

I made some rear susp adjustments that worked great for me between loops.
Loop two was much more fun, as most d37 races are. There was a lot more carnage, you had to billy goat though alot of it and it gave me a callenge to ride it ( i wasn't even thinking of staying on time) The 10 minute break 1/2 way through got me back to even (I rode right through) then I continued to drop time from there. most of it was like a pin ball machine rock to rock to rock. I wish I had Chris's rekluse. I had about 8 stalls, 0 crashes, and 10 false nuetrals.

The speeds were set up to challenge A riders, which is Ok but not the kind of Enduros I prefer. There was zero need to timekeep if you weren't at that skill level.

loop2 was about finishing. About half way though, I decided to pick it up and race, I held the race pace for about 8 miles. I almost made 1 check on time, but a crash in front of me held me up 200yrds from the check and I missed it by 2 seconds.
After that I then was cooked. I dragged A$$ all the way to the finish.

It was fun to be back. I posted a huge # i just hope the rest of my class DNF'd :cool:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Thanks for the reports - glad you guys had fun. I'm jonesing now - we don't start racing up here until Feb 16, and the 1st enduro isn't until April. Sounds like the 1st loop was kinda fast. Helmet cam footage ?

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
no footage, as I mentioned I didn't even remember my jacket. i didn't mess with filming

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
I had my camera but didnt mount it up. Breakfast and coffee took priority.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
the Eel said:
Congrats Chris !!!!! Top of your class. Awesome.

Thanx, didnt *feel* like a 1st, but Ill take it. :) I feel like the course beat me and think I should have gotten a better score, I am looking forward to Prospectors, I just wish there wasnt 2 months between events. Should have the laser blast on the eyeballs next week, I hope it helps with :whoa: .

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom