oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
Eel, Thanx for the directions. Not sure if I am going or not. I might go skiing Sunday. Looks like there might be a break in the weather on Sunday.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I'm very likely gonna skip the overnite thing since the forecast is 80% rain for Saturday. I'll probably just show up Sunday morning.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I'm also going to skip the camping.

Eel what's the frown for on the Muddy conditions. The last race at Dale Evans race was outstanding in the rain. But maybe I'm just a little sick in the head :coocoo: .

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Yeah right - nothing like sitting in an enclosed space with six or seven guys drinking beer.

KX2fitty

Mar 30, 2004
So what do you all think the weather will be like this weekend up in El Mirage? I mean when Sunday rolls around is the ground going to be a mudbog or will the dez soak up whatever is falling up there?

Anyone here live up in the Mojave area for a report?

Me and TakSx will be up there Sunday morning. See you there.

nonickname

Mar 9, 2004
The dirt in the dez is mostly sand, so it just packs down and turns into awesome traction. But there are areas where the ground is more clay based or silty, and those can get pretty snotty. I was surprised at how muddy some of the sections on the Deep Creek course got, so you never know. It rained on the Sweetheart probably 5 years ago, and I don't remember anything like we saw at Dale Evans. Doesn't mean they won't find a mudpit for us this time though. If I had to guess, I'd say we are going to have great traction for the race, but expect a 2-hour cleanup job when you get home. ;)

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
nonickname said:
but expect a 2-hour cleanup job when you get home. ;)

I havent got all the remnants of Deep creek out of all the crevices yet :moon:

I did manage to clean up the fork seals so they are not leaking, and swapped out chain and sprokets. The air filter looked like it just went in :)

S

Sorudne

Go to the accuweather website they were dead-on for the Deep Creek weather. Click on the link that shows hourly weather, I'm tell'n ya, it was so close for Deep Creek it was scary.

The show showes on Saturday at 8am, 11am, 5 - 6pm, and 10 - 11pm, lasting no more than an hour or so. They'll be some awesome riding conditions and the trails will be watered down inbetween the rides, you can't beat that! Heck, you'll be eating breakfast at 8am, break for lunch at 11am, and dinner from 5 - 6pm, so the rain won't matter.

Sunday shows no rain.

Monday shows a bit of wind with periods of rain.

See ya out there, don't be a whimp!

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
No wimps, Deep Creek was a blast! And that storm was much bigger.

Now for camping, I may be wimping out being in a tent and all. But Ill be out Sunday for sure.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I promise to put my wimpiness aside this time. I'll be there rain or shine. The girlfriend's comin' too.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I should be there before noon tomorrow.

Compared to the mud we've had at Clear Creek, the dez would be a cake walk, moreover welcome; like KTMboy said: rain only increases traction in the dez. I remember being in at least two downpours at El Mirage, and besides water flowing down the goggles, riding is tops as it mostly gets soaked up. Bring real enduro gear for a Sat. Ride (water repellant enduro jacket and pants).

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
I was about 30 miles away from El Mirage last night. It was raining hard, but then stopped for a bit, then picked up again. If the rain keeps up I may bail. I will not be able to cross the torrents of water blocking Ave T in Palmdale, or even the washout on Pearblossom HWY if the rain keeps up.

nonickname

Mar 9, 2004
kelsorat said:
I was about 30 miles away from El Mirage last night. It was raining hard, but then stopped for a bit, then picked up again. If the rain keeps up I may bail.
Hope you decided to make it, the conditions were epic. Me, Ned, and Bernie drove from the outing to the D37 awards banquet last night in Lancaster to pick up the clubs trophies. We hit a few detours close to Lancaster, and a bunch of water, but other than that no probs. Paul Krause was there representing KTM and giving out a ton of money and other freebies to anyone who rode a katoom last year. I think Thumbs owes me a cut from the $300 KTM bucks that he won for his year-end finish.

Not a drop of rain on the race today, and really not that much standing water on the course. Perfect traction though... It was a pretty high speed course, without any thing that was too technical. I'd prefer it tighter, but I think they did about what they could with the trails out there. The G-outs and whoops were a bit hard on my wrist (still sore from UEA, but at least not as bad as Tony's), but I think I managed to hold on to drop only 2 pts for second Master. Didn't stick around to find out about anyone elses results, although I know Eel said he had computer issues.

Top Bottom