YZBlitzRider

Jan 31, 2004
I ride MX and never used a chest protector. Thinking of buying
one that would give protection from roost and also provide
some degree of protection to the chest/ribs in the event of a crash.

Anyone have experience with different types? Over Jersey vs. under Jersey? Acerbis? Thor? :)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I use a Thor aftershock I believe but I also have an EVS under jersey I sometimes use. I like the idea of the under jersey better because it looks better but mine is only soft padding, little protection. I 1st started using a CP after breaking my ribs on the handlebars and thankfully I've only had one major impact on my chest since using it. I'm convinced I wouldn't have broken ribs if I'd had it on the 1st time. Last year I nose planted into the face of a triple during arenacross and my chest slammed against by bars & kill switch, the only damage to me was where the CP fastens, it sliced my like a cheese grater. No broken or bruised bones though. :yeehaw:

I have been thinking about one of the sixsixone body armour under jersey protectors, it's got the hard plastic like my Thor.

Last edited:

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
My son and I both use the Acerbis Zoom 2. It offers good protection. Trust me, I found out last month. :(

A tip. If you grip the seat with your pants and after repeated hard acceleration out of corners your pants start riding low, you can easily solve the problem. My Fox 180 pants have a hook/loop in the back, run a zip tie through that loop and into/through the slot in the middle of the lower back of the Acerbis CP. Works great. Just be sure to have your side cutting pliers available for cutting the zip tie after the ride. :)

markymark77

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 4, 2002
A fellow racer and myself T boned in mid air over a double. The landing went badly and I ended up landing stomach down on top of his foot peg. The hard plastic didnt hold up as the footpeg went right through it but at least it took the brunt of the impact which left me requiring only a few stiches. I dont think the foam protectors could have protected me as well in that scenario.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

Zuki

Apr 23, 2003
I started with a chest protector from Answer and I didn't care for it The FOX Airframe is 100% better. I highly recommend them.

Steven

mylesc

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2002
YZBlitzRider said:
Anyone have experience with different types? Over Jersey vs. under Jersey? Acerbis? Thor? :)

I recently went from an Acerbis Zoom to a MSR System X CP. The Zoom uses a suspended mesh in the shoulder pads while the MSR uses foam. My main issue with the zoom is it's lack of adjustability. The shoulder pads dug into my shoulder blade whenever I wore my enduro jacket over it. The MSR fits me much better and doesn't dig into me anywhere.

Bottom line is try on as many as you can. If you wear a jacket, bring it with you when you try on CP's.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I'm looking for a good chest protector for a skinny guy...5'11" 155 lbs. Some of the major brand chest protectors are desgned to accomodate some folks way larger than me...

recommendations?

oops...sorry about that, current unit is the scattershield, had to go out in the garage and look...maybe i'll check out the aftershock! thanks...

Last edited:

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
im 5'11" and 155lbs just like you and i love the thor aftershock...i have 3years on my first aftershock and it still looks great and i just picked up a second one this week and retired my old one to practice only...get the aftershock!!! i have experiences with the airframe and found them very comfortable, but not nearly as durable...i had 3 places with zipties holding the airframe together after one season and none of the damage was in a serious crash...imo trhe aftershock is the best!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
motometal said:
I'm looking for a good chest protector for a skinny guy...5'11" 155 lbs. Some of the major brand chest protectors are desgned to accomodate some folks way larger than me...

recommendations?

current unit is a thor aftershock...way too wimpy!

Try this click here it should help and it may also may you look more masculine :laugh:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I just ordered this body armor. I intend to wear it under my Jersey. I tried it on at the bike show in Daytona. The guy said that he wears his for desert racing. Also, he said that they sent the proto-type to and enduro club in SC, and they immediately orded 50 of them.

It was very comfortable when I tried it on. I have 4 standard over jersey hard protectors, and I never ride without one.

I'll post a product review after I get it and try it out.
BTW, it's called the Bohn Crusader Armored Shirt, and you can find it here: http://www.actionstation.com/

Tim

Attachments

• IMAGE2_Crusader%20White%20cut%20web.jpg
    IMAGE2_Crusader%20White%20cut%20web.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMAGE3_Crusader%20Blue%20Backweb.jpg
    IMAGE3_Crusader%20Blue%20Backweb.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Top Bottom