zachk

May 7, 2010
First im new to dirt bikes and motorcycles so bear with me please. I just took the air cleaner out and its terrible. For cleaning it can i wash it off with water first as best as possible then use SAE 80/90 Gear Oil on it when dry?

Attachments

• 050700_0934[00].jpg
    050700_0934[00].jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 181

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Plain water won't work. Use solvent or mix some Dawn liquid dish washing soap with some hot water and soak the filter. Wash it with clean water from the inside out. Go buy some spray-on filter oil. Gear oil is way too thick.

zachk

May 7, 2010
Ok thank you. So the the problem with the bike is that it wont start. I go to kick start it and its like it wont ignite. I dont know what it is.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Air, spark, fuel are basic needs of the combustion engine. Once the filter is cleaned, and oiled, check the spark plug - maybe get a new one. It's a good starting point. Or, is there gasoline in the tank? Good luck!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The last time I seen an air filter like that, the PE received a total engine rebuild. It sucked a lot of debris through the nasty filter. And it was very hard to start, almost needed a quad to bump start it! Vintage Bob

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
From the looks of that filter, I doubt that bike has seen much maintainance. If it has been sitting for a while, your carb is most likely clogged up. A good place to start would be to buy a service manual and then sit down and read the manual. Then, read it again. After that, you will be better prepared to tackle the problem. :nod:

Also, look at the inside of the filter. If the inside looks like the outside, your engine may be toast.

zachk

May 7, 2010
The inside of the filter looked just fine. Its been sitting for 2 years cause its my dads and he is to lazy to fix it. So im doing it cause i want to ride.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Like others have said, that air filter is a sure sign of poor maintenance. If the filter wasn't cleaned I suspect other aspects of the bike were not maintained either.

My immediate suspicion for not starting is that the carburetor is all gummed up. If the bike was stored with gas in the tank and valve turned on for two years, then the entire tank of gas could have distilled down to a glob of ooze in the carburetor after two years. Any gas remaining in the tank is probably gone bad and needs to be disposed of.

I would start by tearing the carburetor down and inspecting/cleaning. Make sure you remove all the jets so you can clean out all the little passages. If the carburetor turns out to be clean you may be OK, but if it is full of sludge you may need to get some carburetor cleaner to soak the pieces in overnight.

Drain the tank, rinse with a small amount of fresh gas and dispose of that as well.

Get a new spark plug, and then see if it will start.

Rod

zachk

May 7, 2010
so i take the carb off and shes clean as a whistle. Next ill replace the spark plugs and see where that leads me

Top Bottom