Clicking in the motor. ('97 RM125)

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
As some of you remember, I was having trouble with my bike. The kickstart locked up, and the engine had made some odd sound.

Well, now we got the kickstart to actually work and move again, however the engine makes an odd clicking sound when running. Obviously we didnt run it for long, but my stepdad started it up without my knowing.

The only things we could be thinking of that could be making the clicking is a broken/bent connecting rod, or something within the transmission.

Im gonna be doing a whole check over it tomorrow to see what I can find, checking all of the transmission oil levels and so on.

Basically, I just wanted to get some opinions from you guys..And I know for sure that its not a loose bolt on the body or anything, its in the motor itself.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You have a failed bearing on the crankshaft, that is why the engine locked up and that is why the engine makes the clicking noise. Don't run it anymore or you risk damaging the crank beyond repair and also damaging the cylinder. There are no aftermarket cranks for your bike so if you do damage it, things could get expensive.

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Well, thats good news. Bearings are pretty cheap.

Are you sure thats what it is? Might as well replace it anyway since they are cheap, just before when the kickstart was locked up people said for sure that the top end was blown.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
From the description you gave, it does sound like bottom end bearings. I wouldn't say this is going to be a cheap repair. It costs close to $200 (parts and labor) to have a crank rebuilt properly. This includes both main bearings, the con rod big end bearing and crank pin, the connecting rod, and the crankshaft seals. A new piston, rings, wrist pin bearing, and a gasket set are going to run you $150 if you go with Wiseco. There may be damage to the cylinder plating and cylinder head as well.

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Well, I just finished taking the engine out of the bike, so its completely free..I still have to take the top end off, but other than that its just the engine.

Should I take this up to the shop to have the bearings replaced, and whatever else is broken (hopefully not much...), or should I split the bottom end myself and take a look. This is my first rebuild, so I dont really know what a good engine is even supposed to look like, which is why i'm not sure if I could rebuild it myself.

The piston and rings should (note: should), be fine since the guy that I bought it from had just replaced them. So, unless there was, for some reason, damage done to them I wont need to replace those.

If I do end up bringing the engine to the shop instead, should I bring both the top and bottom end for them to check?

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
A Suzuki manual is very thorough and will guide you through a lower-end rebuild. However taking it to a professional is always good if you have doubts. You can save some labor by taking the top-end off yourself, then take the cyl and piston in and have them check out the wear. Run a fingernail down the length of the piston pin, if you feel ridges, you're due for a pin and bearing.........we do the top end bearing every other piston. A used bike sold as "new top end" isn't always a dependable claim.

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Yeah, I have a manual, thats how i've been getting through everything.

Well, I'll just try replacing the bearings myself then, and do an inspection on the piston and all of the parts..If it gets too much to handle or I get lost, I can always bring it up to the professionals then.

Thanks for the help guys, i'll post again if I have any further problems.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You can replace the main bearings yourself, but not the connecting rod bearing. You have to take that to a shop and that will run you about $150 parts and labor with a new Hot Rods connecting rod and pin. Main bearings and seals are usually about $60 on top of that.

D3luxe

Aug 11, 2007
Do you think the connecting rod bearing will need replacing too? Or is there really no way to tell without cracking it open and checking?

Top Bottom