Nick's #1 Fan

May 21, 2007
I need some help. I am about to do bad things to a cr85 engine half case with the clutch still in it and it involves a hammer and the garage floor!

I am doing a bottom end rebuild and for the life of me I can't get the center nut on the clutch loose. I have everything else stripped down but for some reason this thing will not let go.

I figured that since I was doing the bottom end I would replace all the bearings, seals, clutch and clutch basket but I am having problems getting that darn nut off :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Any suggestions?

Thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Yeah, simple..

Put the primary gear back on.

Wedge a soft metal between the primary and the clutch gear. (a penny will do nicely)

Turn it with an impact.

It might help to have the motor in the frame.

(get a service manual. It outlines the disassembly order)

sci85

Mar 27, 2008
IndyMX is right on. In fact, mine took 2 pennies together is it would crush a single penny. I used a nice long torque wrench and my weightlifting neighbor to get it off. I've learned the hard way an impact wrench is you best friend.

Nick's #1 Fan

May 21, 2007
Thanks for the input.

I have it so the basket won't move when I try to turn the nut.

I think it might be my impact.

I will try at a friends in a couple of days (going out of town for work)

I have another question. If I sandwhich the crank in between the cases and bolt it together like the manula says will it acheive the same thing as using a crank installation tool?

Just wondering if I need to buy the tool.

Thanks for the help!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I've never used the "tool"..

Just be very careful, and very slow about drawing the cases together.

If you feel any resistance. Stop and find out what it is.

Those aluminum cases will crack very easily.

sci85

Mar 27, 2008
You can get the Tusk version of the "tool" for $62. Not saying Indy's method won't work but I'd much rather spend $60 and do it right than muck it up and fork out some serious coin to replace a crank or case. If you have a good relationship with your local svc dept, they will sometimes pull 'em together for you pro bono. But, like my pops always said, do it right or don't do it at all!

Top Bottom