bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
I know there has been more than one thread on the CR500AF's but search is bringing up NOTHING!

Karl has decided to upgrade from his 90CR500. He is considering an AF or a 97 or later model CR500R (and I might possibly follow in his footsteps, tiretracks? whatever!).

So what are the advantages/disadvantages of the AF over the steel frame?

I've heard that they are stiff since the frame is designed for the MX/SX big air and we don't go near big air, except by mistake and usually that's a cliff. Are they too stiff for good tight singletrack woods with the 3 r's?

We tried out a 99CR250 last summer and it was okay, handling was good but we are spoiled with the grunt of the 500's. Oops, the CR250 we demo'd was an 01!

Last edited:

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by bbbom
So what are the advantages/disadvantages of the AF over the steel frame?

There are no disadvantages that I can think of, barring that most shops will not be stocking a pipe that fits the 500AF.
Get one in a 2000 or newer frame. While I personally think the 97-99 frames were very good, my 97 (250) was very sensitive to suspension set up.

You two should have mooched rides on Kiwi's AF at moonrocks.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The 2000 onwards frame was very good on the 125 and 250 so i would go for that.I dont think they are too stiff for any riding but i didnt like the pre 2000 much.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
We did mooch a ride on Kiwi's at the 2000 Reno Fest but Moonrocks riding is not too representative of the NW riding. We didn't take it out on any gnarly trails either so we didn't get a feel for it's preformance compared to what we are used to.

Karl is really leaning towards the AF so I guess I better start shopping around for his birthday present.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by Farmer John
While I personally think the 97-99 frames were very good, my 97 (250) was very sensitive to suspension set up.
I agree.

bbbom,
I had a '99 CR250 and thought the stiff frame was causing my handling woes in the woods. Then I really started tweeking the forks (WAY to stiff for the woods) and it kept getting better and better. I finally found the setup I liked and it was a totally different bike than it was in stock form. While I haven't tried a '00 or newer CR, I do agree with FJ, the early frames will rock once you dial in the suspension.

Good Luck,
Scott

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I had a chance to ride an 03 model last weekend. The bike was brand new so I rode it very gently. I did no want to be the frst person to crash it!

The bike is relly nice. It felt like an extremely powerful 250. If I had an extra 8g's, I would order one in a heartbeat. The only disadvantage is that a friend owns this one and I do not. It felt more 250 like than open class machine.

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
I don't have any experience with a CR500AF model however I do have a '96 model that has an EG "mo better" port job and "woods" suspension front and rear by Jeremy at MX Tech. Power and suspension are first rate. A flywheel weight really helped out to keep the bike from stalling in the tight stuff. The only thing that I don't like about the bike is the increased kicking effort that is required due to the missing decompression slots in the cylinder. These grooves were milled out when Eric bored for a larger piston. This bike eats rear tires fast!

offroad toad

Aug 3, 2001
Go with the CR500af it turns so much better than the old steel frame it is sick.
In the woods the AF is easier to ride than about anything..never have to worry about power or being in the wrong gear.

One ride on an AF in the woods and I sold my XR400.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by bbbom
Hope I can get pink plastic for an AF!!!!! :laugh:
bbboom,
All the aftermarket plastic for my '99 seemed to be more pink than red. For me it was :o embarrassing...doesn't do much for the macho image ya know. :confused:

For you. :thumb:

:)

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Well, looks like I'm done shopping for Karl's bday! Found an 01 set up for the woods for him sooooooooooooooooooooo now it's just the delivery to work out.

Hope he likes it and if fits him, if not I guess I'll just have to ride it until I can find him a different present. Socks are always nice. :laugh:

BTW Farmer John, looks like we won't have to mooch rides on the Kiwi bike, well at least Karl won't. ;)

Anyone interested in a nice clean well maintained '83CR480? Karl's bro is taking Karl's 90 so the 480 has gotta go!

Last edited:
Top Bottom