trucktramp

Dec 15, 2002
I think my g/f has finally decided that a dirt bike is a good idea. She wants something that she can touch the ground on so her choices are limited since she is only about 5' 6''. She sat on a crf 150 and could stand flat footed so she liked it. I pointed out that she could get on a crf230 and probably stand on her toes (the local dealer didn't have a 230). Anyway after looking at the spec sheets of a ttr225 they appear to be almost identical at least on paper. So my question is which bike is better for trail riding? She doesn't want to tear up the woods just casual riding. She has been riding street bikes for several years. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Section 8

Jul 13, 2003
I just got the crf230... I rode it up and down the street... I've been riding street bikes so for some reason i expected some crazy kick! but i have a feeling this bike will have no problem. I was in 3rd gear half throttle and it was going at a fair speed.

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
trucktramp,

I looked at the specs for all four of the Japanese bike manufacturers and if the CRF230 and TTR225 fit your GF then also have a look at the Suzuki DRZ250. The DRZ comes with an electric start that she might like. Probably any of these three would be a good choice if the frame fits her well. Not so sure about the KDX200. This is a pretty racey woods bike.

While poking around I also looked at the dual purpose bikes. These might warrant some consideration. They come with all of the lights and mirrors but are still decent trail machines. Also, these have electric start. Just take the lights off and maybe some new tires. The Suzuki DRZ200SE sort of stood out.

Dan

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I have no knowledge of the CRF230 but I can say that the Yamaha TT-R 225 is a pig. It is very poorly suspended and grossly overweight and underpowered. In the used market here you can't give away a TT-R 225

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
section 8, dont expect much kick at all from an XR style four stroke, if you really want something with kick and still want a 4 stroke try out a YZ250f or the 04 CR250F

copyguy

Dec 9, 1999
Keep in mind that the way your girlfriend will ride will probably be much different than the way you do. So the bike she rides will need to be appropriate. You last thing you want to do is for her to get scared the first time out.

If she could flat foot the 150 but not the 230 you should probably look at the 150 for her. If you find she really takes the hobby seriously and outgrows the bike in a year or so you should be able to sell it with no problem. That line of bikes seems to hold it's value well.

We recently bought a stock KDX200 for my wife. She can get her feet down with no problem and is doing very well, but at times we both think the CRF230 would have been a better choice. I think the lower seat height would make her feel more confident plus the electric start would be nice.

Good luck, just remember it's for her so make sure she's comfortable with it.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Stay away from the TTR-225. At 260 lbs (wet) it is a big, heavy, poor imitation of a bike. Lame suspension and there is no power to be found anywhere. Yamaha needs to be ashamed for even trying to sell these things.

The CRF230 gets my vote.

-jeffd

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I'd suggest the CRf150 for a first bike. This bike will give your girl friend great confidence. If you get her a heavy bike like the TTr or CFr230, she might have trouble with its heft, which just might disengage her from riding.

Go light and easy.

03YZ85Rider

Aug 8, 2003
I wouldn't even consider the TT-R 225, they are junk. My friend has a 2001 and he blew the fork seals the second day riding it. Also, now after about two years of normal trail riding on it the transmission has decided to commit suicide along with the rear shock. The TT-R is a pile of old leftover scraps that Yamaha slapped together, I would get the Honda.

nvdirtbiker

Jun 30, 2003
I weigh 200 lbs...and I live at 7000 feet elevation. After establishing that, i rode my nephews new crf230 last week (he brought it here)...man what a FUN bike!! it has TORQUE, its revvy, and it pulls strong on the top end as well!! It has a nice plush suspension great for trail work, the electric start is a DREAM, and that bike pulled me up some of the knarliest hills here in eastern nevada ( if its knarley here...its down right frightening most other places).....I was AMAZED at the bike... totally surprised by it. Oh yeah, it does parlor-trick style wheelies with ease. For my money, I'd get the honda. Its fun, well suspended, has excellent trail manners and its fun (did I mention its fun?) You may end up getting one for yourself after you ride your girlfriends (i am getting one)

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
And I'm ashamed I bought one (for my wife). Big mistake. Way too heavy. A friend wanted to buy it. I refused to sell it to him. It's almost not woth selling. For now, I'm keeping it as a spare for when non-riders visit and want to try out riding.

Mag

Originally posted by jeffd
Stay away from the TTR-225. At 260 lbs (wet) it is a big, heavy, poor imitation of a bike. Lame suspension and there is no power to be found anywhere. Yamaha needs to be ashamed for even trying to sell these things.

The CRF230 gets my vote.

-jeffd

KillJoy

Jan 7, 2004
I have a CRF230F and it is a great bike! If she really gets int it you can always buy a ton of upgrades, including a rev box, and a pipe. The aluminum frame doesnt look bad from BBR either...

Dogman5

Jun 20, 2003
The CRF-230 is deffinetly not as piggish as the TTR-225. I dont think any bike in the market is.

I think a CRF-150 would be the better choice, but if you want to go with the CRF-230, make sure she can handle the weight.

tall1

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 1, 2002
The CRF is the better choice over the TTR. If you don't need the electric starter consider a nice used XR200. The XR200 is a lot lighter and a used bike will depreciate much less if you need to unload it in a year or two.

Dirtman500

Jan 8, 2004
Anything But The Ttr-225

:eek: Anything but the TTR 225! Don't even think twice about the 225! The should have designed the 225 around the TTR 125! Yamaha made a bad move! My son had one! Notice I said...had. I wouldn't even consider this a dirt bike! Heavy lack of power and a really poor suspension! A poor way to spend hard earned money! You could find one at a yard sale for 5 bucks!

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
A CRF230 sounds good. The 150 is almost the same thing but I'd get the 230 because it might possibly last longer than a 150. The DRZ250 isn't a bad choice for a D/Ser. But the DR200 is a "must not buy" almost as bad as the 225. Its dated/powerless and heavier than the DRZ. The TTR225 freaks me out every time I see it(and thats only in dealers). The tank is so ugly; the bike resimbles a Harly in many ways. Why is it metal anyway, its not street legal. If the 225 has a place its not in the US. A TTR250 is totally different though. It would be the most 'competitive' of all(like that makes any sense). Its the least detuned bike. I think a you should stick w/ a play bike unless you want to see what she thinks of the GasGas Pampera. A very tame bike.

Top Bottom