Mikata

Apr 6, 2008
Was thinking about purchasing either a XR650L or a CRF450X to use as a combination road and trail rider. Was wondering what people thoughts and experience with either bike was. I can make the CRF street legal but have concerns about its reliability and maintenance. Use will probably be 60% road and 40% trail. Any comments on this would be appreciated.
Thanks

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The XR650L makes an excellent street bike and it's fun on smooth fire roads but it's not much of a trail bike. I put close to 5000 street miles on my XR and it was reliable and fun to ride.

The CRF450X is just the opposite, an amazing dirtbike that is ill suited to any kind serious street riding.

Mikata

Apr 6, 2008
Thanks, I think I'm leaning towards purchasing the XR. I want a reliable ride that doesn't require a lot of maintanence. I can always upgrade the XR with some aftermarket items.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Make an XR400 street legal. XR650L is a tank offroad.

Just noticed your "bike(s)" do you already own the 650L?

Mikata

Apr 6, 2008
Haven't purchased it yet, almost did but wasn't sure if it was the right choice. Still undecided on what to get. Thought about making a CRF450X street legal but I'm not sure how it would hold up to around town and driving short distances at highway speeds.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The Xr650R might be a better balance between modern tech and old reliable, but it's still a big substantial bike in the dirt compared to the 450X.

Mikata

Apr 6, 2008
Trying to locate a XR650r now. If I find one i think I can make it street legal and it would make a beter trail bike that the 650L. Hows the reliabilty of the XR650r as far as ridability on the street and will it hold up well to around town driving and short distances (less than 20 miles) on the freeway.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Mikata said:
Trying to locate a XR650r now. If I find one i think I can make it street legal and it would make a beter trail bike that the 650L. Hows the reliabilty of the XR650r as far as ridability on the street and will it hold up well to around town driving and short distances (less than 20 miles) on the freeway.

The XR650R was designed to run in the desert, so it will be much better suited to street riding than the 450X. Lots of guys turn the XR650R into street legal Supermoto and put lots of road miles on them with good results.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
SpeedyManiac said:
What about a KTM525EXC or GasGas FSR515? Both would make great dual sport bikes.
wouldn't be as rock-solid reliable as the XR.

This coming from a guy who has ridden both, and prefers his KTM. But, if I was to have the ultimate D/S, I'd go with the XR650R. You can ride an XR hard and put it away wet and it'll still run. Maintenance? What's that? Change your oil and filters when you can remember and it's all good.

It's only drawback: No magic button.

Another option (and Tony Eeds can tell you about it) would be the DR650. There are a LOT of guys out there running these steeds.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Well, if we are talking water cooled, I would go with the DRZ400e or s. Lighter and sits lower than the XR650R, electric start, kickstarter add-on option, decent aftermarket, enough power for modest road trips even with trail gearing. My 650L was buzzy on the road at 60-90 even with DS tires.

That 40% trail would deter me from any 650 unless by "trail" you mean fire road...in which case I would rather have the XR650R. I will never buy another 650L. Had two and they are heavy, run hot, and down on power. If they sold a street legal uncorked electric start XR650R I'd go get it today...strictly for the street.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The BRP (XR650R) is a fast dual sport that will let you know in a painful way that it is now out of it's comfort zone and you will be punished for allowing that to happen. A DR650 or XR650L is a slower dual sport that is more comfortable and more likely to tell you it is getting out of it's comfort range at a less lethal speed. Any of these three would be low maintenance reliable bikes. IMO the smaller displacement bikes are too underpowered for serious DS use which might include some highway.

In the end you need to decide what kind of DS riding you will really be doing and plan a bike around that type of use and accept it's short comings in other areas.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Something you might want to give some consideration to is the new Yamaha WR250R dual sport. It makes more power than the 650L, weighs about 40-50lbs less and has a proper off road capable chassis and suspension. Yamaha is claiming it fine at 80mph on the highway . The initial reviews I have seen have all been very positive.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/11march08_2008yamaha_wr250r.htm

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/595/0/home.aspx

08wr250r_blue_1_87a79a06.jpg

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
All have posted some great information.

Thoughts that come to mind from me seat at the table ...

I have a DR650 and an XR650R in my stable of toys. The XRR is a lot of fun to ride in certain instances, but a real bear in others. I have put a few miles on the XRL and also on a DRZ, so I have a bit of knowledge there to compare with as well.

Where are you located? It will be difficult to plate a XRR in some states.

How tall are you? I am vertically challenged, which has led to some interesting situations with my XRR.

What do you want the bike to do? Fire roads, singletrack, mountain exploring, yada, yada ...

In Mexico last year ...
123245056_QG5vv-M.jpg

I was going around a corner and lost traction. I had enough sense to keep the power on and low side the bike, but I twisted my knee so my ride was over.

All bikes I mentioned and I think the balance mentioned in this thread are electric start with the exception of the XRR. Even the XXR400 can be made electric start if you know who to talk with ... :) The XRR can be, but from what I understand it is not a simple modification and it cost in $$ range.

For dirt roads and commuting back and forth to trails I have come to enjoy my DR. It is short enough to allow me to get my feet on the ground, a trait that I value as an old school guy. Many of the bikes are too tall for me to feel comfortable with assuming I am commuting about or dual sport touring. I have a woods bike for the woods and have a dual sport for piddling and exploring.

Regarding the individual models ...

XR650R - A very capable dirt racer that has been successfully converted to dual sport duty by many people. You will never likely outgrow the power and handling traits of the bike.

XR650L - A neutered version at best. The mill is entirely different and the power characteristics are far tamer. The bike is heavier and about the same size as the XRR. The suspension is soft in comparison to the XRR.

DR650 - Also tame in comparison to the XRR and extremely old school in the sense that nothing has changed since 1996 except plastic color. The shortest of the three bikes mentioned, it is adequate for what I do. The suspension is soft to the point of distraction. I find it to be a perfect compromise for what my purposes are. There are springs and emulators available to address suspension issues.

My bike in it's current trim.
152893485-M.jpg

DRZ400 - There are three versions of the bike out there and I have a fair number of miles on all versions other than the motard. I like them all and would consider them for anything other than long distance rides. I know they have gone many miles on the roads, but they are more buzzy at highway speeds while the other three mentioned above tend to lope along.

I have heard many good things about the WR250F Rich mentioned and know that a few people swear by them. I know of a fellow in the South Padre Island area that swears by them, but then he is always digging out of sand. I think they would be fun if I lived in a place with single track nearby.

I took my MSF class on a Yamaha TW200, and found them to be quite fun in a different way. Minimal and clearly old school, they can be a hoot. I will own one someday, should the eagle poop ever get deep enough here again.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
Rich Rohrich said:
Something you might want to give some consideration to is the new Yamaha WR250R dual sport. It makes more power than the 650L, weighs about 40-50lbs less and has a proper off road capable chassis and suspension. Yamaha is claiming it fine at 80mph on the highway . The initial reviews I have seen have all been very positive.

rich more power than the 650 really ? i thougt those 650's were susposed to be really fast ..(but they weigh a ton)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
john stu said:
rich more power than the 650 really ? i thougt those 650's were susposed to be really fast ..(but they weigh a ton)

The new WR250R makes a couple more horsepower than a stock XR650L. The XR650R is a different story all together.

sensei

Apr 1, 2008
Rich Rohrich said:

Now we're talkin! I pick mine up tomorrow :cool:

My boots, helmet, gear, etc etc...all came in today. Can't wait to take it out.

sensei

Apr 1, 2008
Tony Eeds said:
All have posted some great information.

I have heard many good things about the WR250F Rich mentioned and know that a few people swear by them. I know of a fellow in the South Padre Island area that swears by them, but then he is always digging out of sand. I think they would be fun if I lived in a place with single track nearby.

Rich was talking about the WR250R which is different than the WR250F

Mikata

Apr 6, 2008
Went out and bought a 2007 XR650R today, I pick it up in a week. I called five different dealers and none of them had any in stock or could find one. The honda dealer in the next town over finally contacted Honda and found one. I live in New Hampshire so there going to make street legal before I pick it up. Thanks for all the posts, you have all been very helpful with this. I can't wait to pick it up! Look forward to talking with all of you again and I'm sure I'll be picking your brains some more.

Once again thanks!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
sensei said:
Rich was talking about the WR250R which is different than the WR250F

My bad on typing ... I was one row low on the keyboard :bang:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Mikata said:
Went out and bought a 2007 XR650R today, I pick it up in a week. I called five different dealers and none of them had any in stock or could find one. The honda dealer in the next town over finally contacted Honda and found one. I live in New Hampshire so there going to make street legal before I pick it up. Thanks for all the posts, you have all been very helpful with this. I can't wait to pick it up! Look forward to talking with all of you again and I'm sure I'll be picking your brains some more.

Once again thanks!

Congrats on the XRR. :cool:

I saw one a couple of weeks back at a shop in Conroe Texas. It was just sitting there on the back row of bikes quietly waiting to inflict fun on some unsuspecting soul. :)

I wish that someone (AJ?) could convince the folks in Japan that updating the XRR with electric start and making a capable DS rig out of it makes sense. IMHO, Honda would sell every machine that they could produce.

They better do something soon because the new KTM 690 is supposed to be kick ass.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Tony Eeds said:
. . . I wish that someone (AJ?) could convince the folks in Japan that updating the XRR with electric start and making a capable DS rig out of it makes sense. IMHO, Honda would sell every machine that they could produce.
I would. I'd rather ride that on the streets than my KTM, but I'd have a hard time convincing the wife that I need two bikes.

Top Bottom