BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Anybody have these on their KDX? I'm thinking of getting a set. Are they worth it? Do the different settings noticeably change the handling characteristics?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I have a set.

They are VERY pretty! ;)

They come WITHOUT required hardware. Well, when I got mine, and last I checked with devol. I tried to get them to INclude the needed parts with their pullrods, cuz getting them sans needed parts stinks. You need a couple of kx250 bolts and washers/shims. PNs can be had from buykawi, or from devol.

The bolts are something like $15/20 each. New nuts (if you choose) are $5/7 or so.

Yes, they noticeably change the handling characteristics. Seat height is about 3/8" lower when the pullrods are installed in the 'longer' configuration. The rear suspension gets a bit more 'linear' due to geometry changes of the unitrack.

Don't forget to reset your sag after install.

If you're on the edge of needing a 5.2kg/mm shock spring, the pullrods installed in the 'longer' configuration will put you over that edge. Likewise for needing a 4.8 and the 'shorter' configuration.

They are quite a bit easier to dis/reassemble during maintenance. The kx250 bolts have a longer shoulder that doesn't have the problems the stamped oem pullrods/oem bolts have.

And....did I mention they sure are purty!!??

I haven't checked their website for months. They may have resolved the 'no hardware' issue by now.

Last edited:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
CC, thanks for the heads up about the bolts. I called Devol to confirm and they told me “96 KX250” is what I want to order. Supposedly the threads are the same as stock so the stock nuts will still work. Are the KX250 shims necessary too?

What setting did you end up liking the most? I’m still not totally clear about what handling effects to expect from +/- length adjustments from stock.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yep. Stock nuts fit. I wanted the stickiness of new nylon, so I got new fasteners.

Haven't looked, but a decent hardware store would probably have such locking nuts of a metric nature.

I used the shims just to keep the pieces pretty. A lot of people looking on the inside surface of your pull rods, yanno? ;) That and seemed they might help out the grease seals.

I don't recall devol saying they were necessary. Don't recall they said they were NOT, either.

I installed them in the '+' length. I was looking for a bit lower seat height.

The '+' will increase the lever length, thus increase the pressure applied to the spring. So an input of 'x' force will result in increased shock travel.

Hence the 'more linear' comment. Obviously 11" of wheel travel doesn't relate quite to 11" of shock travel in stock trim.

Oppositely on the '-' (shorter) setting.

That's why the longer setting may take a stronger spring. If you're anywhere in the ballpark springwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

Funny they haven't resolved the bolt issue yet. I got mine a couple years ago.....wasn't too happy to 'find out' the rods wouldn't fit with the stock hardware. On the phone, they said they were considering making a 'kit' out of it. Obviously the cost would be higher.....probably not $40 higher considering the over-the-counter cost of the bolts from kawi.

At least you'll have the parts on-hand when you get the suspension apart.

Did I mention they surely are pretty?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by canyncarvr

Funny they haven't resolved the bolt issue yet. I got mine a couple years ago.....wasn't too happy to 'find out' the rods wouldn't fit with the stock hardware. On the phone, they said they were considering making a 'kit' out of it. Obviously the cost would be higher.....probably not $40 higher considering the over-the-counter cost of the bolts from kawi.

Judging from the reaction of the guy on the phone (I had to jog his memory) I wouldn't look too soon for any kit. You know how it is. Most of these companies like to focus on products for the latest hot MX bikes. Aside from the effect of lowering seat height, did it have any beneficial / detrimental effect on handling?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'm missing something. Re: beneficial/detrimental, I think I'm addressing the question. I am not purposely being obtuse.

Describing the effect was intended to allow one to draw their own conclusions. Opinions are nice, facts are better.

I think the DFII is such a huge advantage over any other reed system. There is no comparison. Others think differently.

I think the XR spring is far superior to any other aftermarket spring. Others think differently.

I think the electrex lighting coil is an engine performance addition. Haven't seen any thinking about that at all in spite of my baiting the issue.

I think a more linear reaction by the shock is an improvement. It becomes more pliant, more compliant to the ground. Devol describes it as a 'smoother ride'. I agree. Consider the whole idea of increased moment arm length and subsequent application of force differences for similar effect and you may agree also.

...but then...I never quite latched onto fissicks too good.

Maybe it's all in my head. ;)

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
cc, Nothing wrong with your answers at all. I didn’t mean to imply anything. They were good and I appreciate them. They covered the objective portion well, i.e. “Lowers the bike” and “more linear suspension travel”. I suppose I was trying to elicit your subjective reactions as well, like whether the bike seems to deflect less in rock gardens or is turning affected one way or another as a result of the different length. That sort of thing.

Top Bottom