Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by marcv125

Alright Durt Cycler thats your opinion and i respect that. I just dont see why you wouldnt oil the air filter just for safety sake.

I said I oil the rim of the filter with filter oil for safety sake since I do not use grease on it. I never said I wouldn't oil my filter anyway. :debil:

imlostagain

Feb 12, 2002
Marcv125.... You are quite right . I was merely trying to answer the "do you grease your air filter " question. Of course you NEED to "oil the thing". I only suggest the Pro seal since there is such a BIG debate over the use of grease on the filter lip. To be honest , it's entirely up to the owner to what extent they would like to protect their investment. The nice thing about using a seal instead of grease is that you install once and forget about it. I guess that was the point I was trying to make.....

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
I only suggest the Pro seal since there is such a BIG debate over the use of grease on the filter lip. To be honest , it's entirely up to the owner to what extent they would like to protect their investment. The nice thing about using a seal instead of grease is that you install once and forget about it. I guess that was the point I was trying to make.....

Absolutely i think that how they protect their bike is absolutely up to the owner. No doubt about it. I am thinking about getting the pro seal also but even if i did this i think i would still grease the rim on my air filter. I just think everyone should thats all. No problem imlostagain, i just get very picky about some things and air filter maintanance is one of them. Thanks
Marc

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
The proseal sounds like something worth looking into. The reason I don't grease the rim isn't because I think it's too messy, It's because I think it's not worth the mess.

If you have particles coming in at that seal, then that is the problem to address, and I don't feel grease is going to make an airtight seal where there is a gap, the airflow will just blow a hole in it. (least resistance)

When I oil my filter (frequently) the foam that meets the airbox is oiled as well. If I ever see particle trails (the filter seat is white) I'll know I have a breach.

At this point, that white circular sealer foam (on the filter) is the only clean part on the filter before I clean it. It always has been. This indicates to me that everything is working as it should.

I respect everyone else's opinion as far as what measures they take. (Woodsrider made a good point as far as watertight seal) These are mine.

Sidenotes: I cover my filter with stockings. It's surprising how much grit gets stopped before it even hits the filter, and talk about cost effecient.

I seem to have more of a problem with particles in my fuel tank and containers. Where does this stuff come from? It's not like I leave them out in a dust storm.

Joe

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Well $0.05 worth of grease and two minutes of clean-up is cheap insurance against sucking particles into your engine.

Chief - On your fuel tank, the accumulation of particles come from the entire process. All the way back to the refinery. Ever crack open the gas tank on the family truckster? Lot's of stuff in there that's typically out of sight and out of mind. ;)

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
That poor truck has been so neglected ever since I bought the bike. The only reason I keep it running is so I can tote my machine.

:) :) :)

WoodsRider, Point well taken on the grease, It's not costing you anything time or money wise for the extra insurance.

Joe

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Chief
WoodsRider, Point well taken on the grease, It's not costing you anything time or money wise for the extra insurance.
Yeah, but then I usually do something stupid, like forgetting to tighten the clamp between the air box boot and the carburetor. :confused:

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
As long as we are on the subject, just wondering, are you supposed to use 2 stroke or 4 stroke oil on the filter, depending on which type of engine you have?

On the grease part, I hear that Moly Disulfide is pretty good stuff.

Joe

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
As long as we are on the subject, just wondering, are you supposed to use 2 stroke or 4 stroke oil on the filter, depending on which type of engine you have?

There are designated oils for air filters. Go down to your bike store and they should have some air filter oil down there. I would reccomend Uni air filter oil in the aerosol can. Very clean and works very well.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Chief, no need to use a moly grease for the air filter. Moly is a lubricating solid suited for different applications. All you want to do on the filter is have a light film of a cheapo grease to help seal against the filter box. A lithium based grease will tack up and seal just fine.

Personally, I use a white lithium grease. It's easy to see when you have a full path around the filter seal. USe your finger and spread it thin till you get it all the way around.

Top Bottom