Does kickstarting make KIPS valves move?

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
I'm trying to determine if the KIPS exhaust valves on this '90 are carbon'd up to the point where I'll need to bother with removing the cylinder and cleaning them.

I've taken the pipe off... and when I slowly moved the engine thru it's cycle by hand with the kickstarter... I didn't see those valves move at all.

Is that normal? Do they only open and close ander a load/actual conditions?

-TheGDog

"What did I get myself into!?"

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
The kips uses a centrifugal actuator to open and close. You won't be able to turn the engine fast enough with the kick start to get it to work.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Never owned a KDX but on my sons KX80 you could remove the Kips valve cover that covered the actuating arm and you could see if the valves opened and closed as you revved the bike out on a stand.

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
Opens at 6K rpm if I remember correctly. Maybe it was 4K but I seem to rememer 6K and remember thinking it was pretty high. I would't think that of 4K.

Either way kicking won't do it. Not even close.

They do need to be cleaned regularly as they get buildup and stick. Sometmes removing the gate or tongue is really tricky with the carbon buildup preventing removal.
KDX_valvespooge.JPG

KDX_mainvalvesdirty2.JPG

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
TheGDog said:
I'm trying to determine if the KIPS exhaust valves on this '90 are carbon'd up to the point where I'll need to bother with removing the cylinder and cleaning them.

I've taken the pipe off... and when I slowly moved the engine thru it's cycle by hand with the kickstarter... I didn't see those valves move at all.

Is that normal? Do they only open and close ander a load/actual conditions?

-TheGDog

"What did I get myself into!?"
If you put some of that silver stuff they use in the Comcast commercials on your boots, you might be able to get it to move

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom