DR vs DRZ what is the difference?

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
what is the difference dr and the drz
I am looking at a dr and it seems like a good bike. What is the difference between the dr and the drz?

Sincerely,

Riz

weekendtoy

Jun 2, 2001
A DR has a 350cc aircooled motor.The DR was made from 1990-1999 in 2000 Suzuki discontinued the DR and unveiled the DRZ400.The DR had both a dual sport and a dirt only model.The motors were the same internally though the dirt model had a better carb.The dirt only model was a kickstart and had plastic tank.The SE or street model DR came with electric start in 94-99 had better highway gearing and a metal tank,blinkers,taillight etc.The DRZ also has a dirt and street model but the motors are different animals.The dirt model has higher compression,more aggressive cams,and better carb.This all adds up to around an 8 or so hp advantage over the street model.The 2000 and 2001 street models had inferior suspension to the dirt models.Now in 2002 all models share the same suspension.As for power between a DR350 and a DRZ400 it is a hands down DRZ.I owned a 98 DR350 and now have a 2001 DRZ400.My DR350 had a 435 bigbore kit,high performance cam,porting,full exhuast and my DRZ with only an exhuast will whoop it's ass.The DR350 is a BULLETPROOF motor that can not be killed.The DRZ uses a newer technology in the motor and the ergos are better.If it's not a money issue go for the DRZ.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
they also made a DR 250, 200, 125, and I think even a 100. Started production in the mid 80's. The 350 engine is not as good as it could be, Thumper racing does a kit (435?) which is rather nice from what I've heard. The 350 motor also is not completely bulletproof, my buddy destroyed his. Cam, piston, head, valves, etc. They're a good running bike when they run though, handling is decent. They still make a DR200 dual sport bike, it can be had new cheaply.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Technology, for the above poster I believe they made a 370 and a 400??? The 80's were a little fuzzy for me;) ;) ;) The DR 350 is a good generic DS bike but it is about in line with the XL Honda (hold shield over head here for Honda fall out) I think it started pretty well when hot though???
The DRZ is a big step forward, but depending on your needs maybe not a necessary one!

Kevin

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I've flogged mine pretty hard for more than a year and have not had any motor problems at all. Just stuff that I have bent or broken. Mine was in excelant condition when I got it (not that its bad now). I bought it a dealer for a good price (a lot less than the XR's they had there). The suspension is a little soft if you are above 190. I have just resprung (b-day gift) today. I think it needs a little more on the suspension and it will get a realy good trail bike for me. I'm working on getting a steering damper set up and maybe a fork brace. I think that will be it for the mods (for me).

P.S. As for starting the drill is not that hard. Mine starts on first or second kick. I think that jetting and opening up the air box helps for that. The only time that I use the decomp is on a cold morning.

Last edited:

Top Bottom