Dripping oil out of vent tube

Marsh

Feb 26, 2004
After going for a rip and setting the bike on the stand shut down, oil will drip out of the vent tube. Enough comes out while sitting there that it makes a pool equal to about a handfull.
After a day of riding I notice the level in the sight glass is down.

What to do?? :(

I've got a '90 200. Just totally rebuilt her. Runs great. Suspension is next then I'll post how I like it.

Anyway. Oil leaking out. Why? How to fix? :bang:

Thanks.

Marsh

Feb 26, 2004
Ya, sorry. I changed the oil after I first noticed it. The oil came out looking normal. I put exactly 0.8L back in (as the manual and side of case suggests).

Still leaking.

10W30 Quaker State.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
possibly RH crank seal leaking, allowing crankcase pressure to pressurise the gearbox and force oil out of the breather. Not good.

cdnuser

May 16, 2004
Similar problem

:ugg: I have a similar problem but instead of oil, gas leaks out the vent tube. It only happens after the bike has been running for a while. Roughly 1/2 cup?!

I have an 89 KDX 200 all stock.

cdnuser

May 16, 2004
Marsh said:
Ya, sorry. I changed the oil after I first noticed it. The oil came out looking normal. I put exactly 0.8L back in (as the manual and side of case suggests).

Still leaking.

10W30 Quaker State.

My mechanic told me to use W80 oil in the crank case. After the motor had been rebuilt. Any thoughts on this?

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Marsh,

I feel your pain brother. I just got my motor back after a bottom end rebuild. Prior to that I would find 50-100ml of tranny oil in the airbox after a weekend of riding. In addition to new crank seals and bearings I got a new con rod while they had it apart. Just had it back in the woods two weekends ago and the airbox was almost completely dry after 130 miles. I still need to change the oil before the next ride, but the oil is still at the full mark. It ended up costing me $580 U.S. to have it done.

Good luck.

whtkdxtra

May 23, 2000
That happened to me too. If there is fluid in the line, the crankcase can't breathe. I blew the vent tube out with air and the problem hasn't come back.

Marsh

Feb 26, 2004
Hey that's one that I haven't thought of yet. I'll try it.

By the way, I was told if the right side crankseal is gone it will suck oil out not blow fuel mixture into the gear box thus pressurizing things - that's what I first thoiught too. The bike has been totally rebuilt - seals, mains, rod, cylinder, piston KIPS valves and assembly. Like I said it runs great but this is weird.

If blowing the air thing doesn't work, I'll step up to the 10W40 oil and see.

By the way. Wildbill. I just jetted the pilot down from a 48 to a 45. The thing is perfect. 155 main, 1173 needle in the middle clip, 1 3/4 turns out on air screw. It rips. I am still tweaking the float level - pees a little when sitting there shut off, but I'll get 'er.

Thanks folks. :)

Top Bottom