KXRider

Nov 10, 1999
I have had a 02 Chevy 3500 crew cab long bed Duramax/Allison for a year, I have about 19,000 miles on the truck. Not the first problem so far. I love the truck, but I bought it to haul a 13,000lb 36' 5th wheel toybox trailer every weekend to the MX races. I can tell you that until you get use to it parking lots will be fun. As far as the Duramax power, it is better than the Ford "powerpoke" (just kidding) stock. I added a Edge Juice performance chip and got 400HP and 750lbs of torque. I drive it 14 miles each way to work everyday and get 18 to 20 mpg UN-loaded and 9 10 10 mpg towing. I tested it with G -Tech after adding the juice box. 0 to 60 in 7.4 seconds and a 1/4 mile in 14.88 sec. at 91mph, not bad for a 7,960lb truck. If you are just concerned about hauling a couple of bikes the Duramax or Ford Powerstroke is a lot of truck, but a 300 or 400hp diesel is a lot of FUN! I have some pictures of our D-max on my Son's WEB site http://www.tbdracing.com/trucks_trailers/index.htm just click on the picture of the Duramax 3500.
The diesel page at http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi is the place to learn more about the trucks.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
hey KXRider, how do you like those mirrors? Any annoyances or complaints about them?
Do they come with the door mount, or do they just clip onto the existing post? Reason I ask is mine did not come with the trailer tow mirrors and it looks like it uses those posts.

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
How do you get so much power out of your diesel? I'm especially impressed by the horsepower. This is because, if I remember correctly, HP is essentially torque divided by a constant, which constant is expressed in RPM. Thus, to get a lot of HP you need either a ton of torque or the ability to spin at high revs?

Did the mods you've done increase your maximum engine speed? If so, at what cost to durability? I'd expect such heavy parts spinning fast would wreak havoc and to decrease engine life.

How much did the mods you did cost? I'd love to have a full-sized truck that accelerates like a pretty-quick sedan.

Why don't I see Ferrari and/or Porsche diesels if you can get so much horsepower out of them?

KXRider

Nov 10, 1999
Cam Mitchell,
My D-Max came with the stock camper tow mirrors, which were almost worthless. They were too small, did not extend far enough out and were not power. I replaced them with Lucerix X-Mount mirrors they are power operated and heated. They bolt right where the factory mirrors mount in less than 5 minutes. You can see great with these. You can read more about them at this site. http://www.lucerix.com/xmount.htm
EBOD,
As for the added power, I installed an Power Edge JUICE box (performance chip). Edge has been doing this for a long time. They do not modify the engines RPM limiter nor do they alter fuel pressure. I installed the box in less than 10 minutes. The box also monitors the Allison 5 speed automatic transmission and if any slipping occurs it back off the power before any damage can occur. There are 4 settings with or without tow haul, I only use setting 2 when hauling, to protect my engine and transmission. There are many posts on the Diesel page about this. I think the price is still around $750.00 for the box. Edge's Website for the Duramax chip is at http://www.edgeproductsinc.com/dura_ez.html

luvtolean

Oct 3, 2002
I had a 2001 1500 Silverado with a 5.3l gas engine. GM has had huge problems with piston slap, and mine was getting bad enough I just wanted out. I tow a 6x10 enclosed trailer full of junk for my roadrace bike and the 5.3 just didn't have the hoorah. Milage was around 20 empty on the freeway, 12 towing, and 14-15 in stop in go traffic here in the SF Bay Area. So about a month ago I decide I am dumping this POS before it blows its guts out.

I was pissed at GM so I wanted to buy a Power Stroke or Cummins. They were both slow, loud and rough riding. On to the 2002 GMC Duramax/Allison 2500HD 4x4. More HP, less vibration than the other diesels, quieter...the best of all worlds. So I went against my better judgement and bought another GM.(But I don't regret it!) Towing it gets around 17MPG and the trailer doesn't push the truck around a bit. The brakes are much better also. It's quiet enough to not be annoying in stop and go where it gets 16-17MPG. And the tranny is sweet, it is the smoothest shifting you'll find, and it grabs downshifts while in Tow/Haul mode to help you slow your trailer. It's neat, it even blips the throttle to match revs.

Downsides, it is noisier than the gas. My friend who owns a tranny shop said the Allison may not be the most durable tranny in the world. He said service it every 20k (GM recommends every 60k) and it will be fine.

Last edited:

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
You can also get chips and other mods for the PSD and the Dodge/Cummins to make them stomp as well. You're really gambling with your warranty, though. You might be able to swap the mod out after you blow a tranny or motor and take it to the dealership but the on-board computer may tell on you, anyway. My Dmax is plenty fast in stock trim. Sure, it's tempting to get all those horse's for only $750 but it's just not worth the risk to me.

Ford has stepped up with the Gen2 PSD. It's a 6 liter, I believe. They had some press day event just recently about it. Go to some of the truck boards further up in this thread to check them out. I put no weight on the fluff test results I've read so far. Not saying the G2 PSD won't be a strong runner but some of the results were very odd. I'll be interested to see the first test of production models against the Dmax. Unfortunately, the Ford interior appears to be the same very dated one they've been using for way too long. Shame, too. I like the looks of the Super Duty but even the top-line models are sure plain-jane inside.

luvtolean

Oct 3, 2002
Yeah, the new PowerStroke is supposed to have a variable vaned turbo and stuff. Pretty neat, but I wouldn't want something with a bunch of new technology (to the maker) in it's first year.

I hate the pedal position in Fords. That alone is enough for me not to buy one.

The exhaust, chip etc route is tempting, but I got the extended warranty, and I'd hate to void it. Supposedly if you have an exhaust, GM won't fix your truck if you have tranny problems because you've "modified the truck beyond the torque capacity of the tranny". Mine will stay stock. But like you said, it hauls a$$ anyway. :thumb:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Being rated at a maximum of 375hp/545#ft at the input shaft I'd venture that most any add-on will indeed over street the Allison 1000 automatic since the DMax is rated at 300/520. Funny thing the G2 is supposed to be a 305/550 engine and there is discussion of using the 5spd Allison automatic in it :think:

derekk87

May 29, 2002
all i know is ive drivin a cummins in a fourwheel drive longbed and a duramax in a four wheel drive long bed extended cab and there was no comparison power wise, although i do like the way the cummins sounds i like duramax. the duramax will pretty easily bark the tires by just mashing it and the cummins had no chance at that.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Good point, Pat. They're already over powering it. The 8.1 liter Vortec I have in my 03 Winnebago has 355 ft lbs of torque and it uses that same tranny. Same with the 8.1 HD pickups, I'd guess.

Last edited:

KXRider

Nov 10, 1999
To confirm a couple of things on the Duramax.

The Power Edge Juice chip adds 90hp and 250 lbs of torque in power level 4, I tow in level 2. Level 4 is a little out of spec for the Allison T1000, but only slightly on power level 4.
This puts the Duramax at 390hp and 770 lbs of torque max
Stock Duramax stock specs http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/powertour/engine/specs.htm
Edge performance Chip (Edge) info.
http://www.edgeproductsinc.com/dura_ez.html
Allison T1000 specs http://www.allisontransmission.com/product/series/1000series_specificationsheets.jsp

The Duramax has a 100,000 mile warranty and the edge chip can be removed in less than 5 minutes.

The Bank's exhaust (I want to add) does not void your warrnety
http://www.bankspower.com/System.cfm?appid=AC08&sysid=SC13

As for the new Ford G2 sounds like a good engine, but an 03 F250 pulled up to a stop light next to me last week and when the light changed we went for it. I pulled away from him about 8 length in the first 1000 feet or so and just kept pulling away.

I just got to take my chances, right or wrong, having a 8,000lb 390hp with 770 lbs of tourque truck is just too much fun!

roosteater

~SPONSOR~
Dec 27, 1999
I was reading that there's an issue with the AL heads on the Duramax. Apparently, people are having issues with them cracking at very low mileage. Anyone heard anything on this?

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by Neil Wig
[B The 6.9 is a good engine, but the DuraMax will eat it alive. Even the Ford PSD can't compare to the poop of the DuraMax. [/B]

How can you compare a 6.9 to a DuraMax?

Check out www.pickuptruck.com

The DuraMax gets spanked by the 6.0 P/S.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Sure 300 hp is neat and all that, but..
Too bad they are all overpriced and overbuilt. For the consumer that just wants a reasonable diesel option and not neccessarily tow the moon around, its simply not available anymore. Else one has to limp 10-20 year old trucks based on designs 10-15 years older than that. Wish the big three would wake up soon.

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
Gyro.
You've hit the nail on the head.
I was talking to one of the Ford Powertrain Engineers, He said Ford put the V6 diesel {F150} on hold because people think just because its a diesel they can hitch up and pull anything.

The public needs to be re-educated on light duty diesels.
I would own one- the P/S Super duty is just too big for my use.

KXRider

Nov 10, 1999
Originally posted by luvtolean
KXRider, who told you it didn't void the warranty? If that is true, I will be adding that exhaust.

Maybe I'll email GMC.

Banks origionally told me about their exhaust not voiding the warranty, but I stopped by 2 local GM dealers and both said as far as they were conserned as long as nothhing was change pre turbo and was emmisions approved they would have no issues with a different exhaust. One of the offered to install it for me.

Originally posted by luvtolean
KX, the Allison link you provided gives a max HP of 375 and max torque of 545 lb/ft.
You are correct, when I haul the bigger trailer I use power level 2 with the tow haul on to keep from over powering the allison. The Edge chip also drops the power level down if it feels any transmission slippage. So far I have never experience any slippage, but the Edge reps say if you try to haul in anything above level 2 this could happen.

Originally posted by roosteater
I was reading that there's an issue with the AL heads on the Duramax. Apparently, people are having issues with them cracking at very low mileage. Anyone heard anything on this?

Must have been on one of the Ford forums, as far as I know there have been no cracked heads to date on a Duramax. Where did you read this?

As for the new 03 PowerStroke, I pulled up to a 03 F250 at a stop light on the way home last Thursday. When the light turned green he went for it and so did I. My Duramax beat the Ford quite badly, but the new Ford was stock. We stopped and he was confused until I told him about the PowerEdge Juice box. I am sure they wii have something for the new Fords soon.

Top Bottom