Enzo / AirCell / READ THREAD BEFORE VOTING.

Enzo, AirCell, Other (Sub Tanks) READ THREAD BEFORE VOTING!

• Enzo

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • AirCell

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (list below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Vote!
If "Other", please indicate who makes 'em.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Thanks for the info., Jaybird. I agree with Bsmith and Thump.(Refer to other, recently closed sub-tank poll.) Like I said, yesterday, Okie, I love to learn about other peoples CAREFUL experiments; especially if they follow a relatively scientific method approach (change only one variable at a time.) I like to experiment myself & share my experiences with other relatively intelligent individuals that are also interested. But, on a project bike like this, I DO NOT believe in experimentation; only proven products.
BTW, what "problem" are we trying to solve on THIS bike with the sub-tanks? I haven't seen any discussion about the performance of the forks as supplied. Does Service Honda perform any modifications to these forks? Has anyone asked them what they reccommend?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
MX-Tech does the suspension and Jeremy uses Enzo when supplying tanks. Not sure yet if that's the only tank he recommends, or what? Waiting on some feedback now. For sure, Enzo is the safest bet, assuming you trust Mr. Wilkey.

Why tanks? If they soften the harshness from rock hits, square edge stuff, breaking bumps, tree roots, etc., as everyone says they do, and money isn't an issue, I know for sure I'd have them.

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
I guess my input is this way:
I feel subtanks work,, and are worth it. I'd advise using them.

i dont care the brand,
but since we are going with MX tech susp,
i would go with what jer recommended..
on all suspension related things.. he would need to know what is going to be used and if it works well with what he already does?

i assumed it was already decided the susp is going to be revalved resprung by mxtech.?
as well as whatever trickery jer does to susp ,or has planned, ,
which might include some fork coatings and shock shaft coatings etc.

so the suspension was decided to hand off to him.and let him do what he does or feels is best for those specific forks and shock, in that specific application.?

I feel if the *vote*
was to have the susp done by to race tech, pro circuit etc ,,
thier input on each part of the susp.package would be followed,
what coatings,
and IF subtanks were a good choice, or WHAT subtanks to use ?

i'm not much help huh?
but i guess i'm trying to say is before even voting, since the decision was already made to have jer do the susp,
you would need jers input on what other mods to the susp are don , or a good or bad idea.?

heck he may feel subtranks of any brand are a poor choice in this application, or may feel they are the greatest thing to do..??

any members with experince with variuos brands of subtanks,
should chime in with thier specific experinces as well..
pros, cons, where they ride, what bike,
etc.

i'll start:
i have not tested anything but enzos, and in only mx situations.
they work very well, and a noticible difference.

i would love to test other brands as well ,
and in a more off road application, just havnt had the oppurtunity.(unfortunantly)

Also I would *think* that any brand based on the same general princples would work very well and work well in all situations.

but on my own bike i wouldnt feel comfortable *selecting* without whoever was doing my suspensions input.

as far as ease of installing,
the enzos -
not so simple, and i would let the susp guy of choice install them.

in the case of this project bike... who ever does the susp, will be installing any subtanks you pick.
so that doesnt seem to matter much.*shrugs*

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Okay.. spoke with Jeremy. I'll pass on some bullet points, at least the stuff I understood :p

1) The Enzo's do require an understanding and use of "typical" suspension tools, drilling, and tapping. (yeah, I considered this a big issue as a version that can be installed by just about anyone would be favorable, IMHO)

2) Can Joe Blow weekend warrior install them "if he's used to working on suspension and has the tools".

3) The AirCells? Jeremy: "NOOOOOO!". Bottom line, they do show *some* improvement, but basically, don't work as engineered.

4) How would you feel about them attached to your suspension? "Bad".

5) Do tanks really make a difference for off-road bikes? "Absolutely, many, many benefits".

Good enough for me. You guys make the call.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
well, if Jeremy says "NO" to aircel, I say we go with him on the Enzo.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Responding to AJ....

I mentioned early on, here and to Jimmy on the phone, that's theres really no point in running a poll on DRN, ref. who does the motor and suspension work, we already know who wins. I ran one about Eric, people thought it was a trick question. I also mentioned that if we are supposed to build a bike that represents DRN... Eric and Jer's work is a given. Jer was a mod here before most of the planet had ever heard of MX-Tech. DirtRider Mag knows we will use OUR resources first. How better to represent the board?

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
ok. makes sense to me!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Well there ya' go. The sub tanks are a good idea (which I figured they were) and Jer does indeed have a professional opinion on which ones. So like I said before trusting what these guys suggest has never left me second guessing what I should have done. It has always been more than I expected and in the end that's all you can ask for. So pull those boingers off AJ and send them to Jer, (He can always use my setup information if he needs a go by :) )

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
OK, I voted yesterday without reading the thread - so change my vote to Enzos too.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I voted Enzo as it only makes sense if Jer is doing the suspension that we allow him to do the "complete" package.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
After taking a close look at the photo of the AirCells, I think it has plastic fittings and nylon tubing.
I'd feel OK with that on the track, but in the woods, I think Murphey would be looking to get his hands on these at every turn. (or at every branch)

I'd feel much more comfortable with the quality fitment and plumbing of the Enzo's. Even if it does take some machine work to get them on. Shouldn't be much anywho...drill/tap the bleed holes?

I like the guys at AirCell eng. but I think their product won't quite be what we are needing.
If Jer says nix, then I says nix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom