Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
hi,
i told my friend that i wish kdx came with a wide ratio 300cc engine and stiffer forks,, he said i just described an exc 300 stock.
Would that right?

thanks...

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
300EXC ??

I have a ridden the KDX, and it is great, I am wondering if someone could tell me more about the 300 EXC. I am considering one, I am because I just want to get something more, I am not knocking the KDX, but I am learning rding again and want to just at least get an understanding for the 300EXC. I am 5'11' and 230. I appreciate your advise. Happy New Year!
Thanks,

Jim

Dale

Jan 6, 2000
I am 240 5-9 just switched from a 99 KDX 200 to a 01 300 EXC the 200 was a little more nimble at a trade off of being not as stable. other than that the 300 is a better bike by far i wish i changed sooner

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
KDX 300 with topshelf components

I've got a KDX 200 and a GasGas EC300. The bikes have a similar feel to them in the handling department. The GG turns tighter and is better suspended. Its all a matter of preference but if you like the nimble feeling of your KDX a GG might be worth considering. The best way I can describe my bike to say its would be like a KDX 300 (if they were to make one) with topshelf conponents.

The KTM 300 is a powerhouse and is also a great next bike after a KDX. Good luck with whatever bike you chose.

WoodChuck

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
EXC Contd.

With all this in mind, is it fair to assume that the EXC 300 is more jump friendly, I know either are motocross but what about frames? Perimeter vs what KTM has? I have no idea here. Thanks...

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
With the right suspension setup you can launch a 300exc just fine. I've never heard of any problems with the frames however there was an issue with a few swingarms but I think those were fixed.

ScottKDX

Aug 12, 1999
dan, i've been looking to set up my suspension to better handle the jumps...and advice would be greatly appreciated.

as to the KDX - KTM 300 comparison, i've made that move. calling the KTM a KDX300 is a bit of a stretch, but i would agree with calling it a KDX with the best components...that's fair.

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
I had MX-Tech revalve my shock and put on 9.0 straight rate spring. I'm sending it in for the new lowflow piston today. The work they did was first rate and well worth it. I have a '99 with the 50mm conventional forks. I put in 44 springs and Moble 1 ATF (7.5wt approx) and turned up the compression and rebound a few clicks. They work great for me this way. The biggest thing is having the right springs. I've managed to grab a few feet of air with flat landings and not bottom out. I don't do MX but do spend time in the desert pounding some rather large whoops and jumping out of sandwashes.

Optik

Mod Ban
Dec 27, 2001
I have a similar problem. I have a choice between getting a 02 kdx 220 or a 99 exc 300. The exc 300 is alot cheaper so I'm leaning towards it.

My main concer is that will the exc still have that same hit the throttle and go type power that a kdx 220 /w pipe and scilencer has? If its a higher end power bike like a kx or something then I dont want it, I want a bike that is easy to ride in trails and has hit the throttle and go power. The ktm is a much better deal so if its like a kdx then I'm going to get it, but I dont know what thier like, can anyone help?

PS Im 15 turning 16 - 5'9" 150. The ktm might be a little big for the first year but thats no big deal.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Things to consider..

1. The 300 without a flywheel weight will pull your arms out of the sockets if you are not paying attention.
2. The KTM is used, may require some immediate attention = parts = more mmoney. (Have you checked into KTM parts prices?
3. The KDX will not be as high quality as the KTM, its a trail bike.
4. The KTM is designed for experienced riders and likes to be ridden hard and fast.
5. The KTM will work you hard in the tighter going, you need to have some good upper body strength.
6. The 300 will eat rear tires faster.
7. The 300 is VERY fast, are you?
8. The KDX will require some money in it to balance the suspension and a FMF pipe.
9. Which bike will be best suported by your local dealer?
10. And thats all I have to say aobut that...

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
I owned a '96 300 exc. Now I ride a GG 250 XC. The KTM was a torque monster. I took off the stock silencer and replaced it with an FMF power core w/out SA. The bike had a pretty good hit but I would never have to go there when in the tight woods and even climbing hills. The bike pulled like a John Deer or a Massey. I tried to break the KTM but couldn't. The thing was a tank.

The ergonomics of the GG are far superior for my size 5'10", and a bit portly. I did not like the bulky feeling of the KTM. If I was a desert racer/rider then I would be hard put not to own another KTM 300. The tight eastern woods however, for my riding ability, are too restrictive for the KTM 300.

Optik

Mod Ban
Dec 27, 2001
Hmm well thanks for the info. So the 220 would probably be a better deal even though it will cost me about 2000 more? Ahh well, I guess its okay.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Fred T brought up some VERY good points!!
I know its your first year SERIOUSLY riding Cole, so the KDX will be a much better bike for you. Dont worry about the extra $2000 for the KDX, check out some prices on KTM parts. :eek:

69PENTON

Jan 2, 2002
asrith

I am 6 ft and 240 lb. I have owned a 98 KTM 300 since 9/97. I have ridden a KDX 200 about 5 years ago (a riding buddy owned one). I race enduros and hare scrambles and trail ride. I ride about once a week when the weathers ok.
I liked the KDX but at my weight I needed the extra 100cc the KTM has been a great bike for me. The extra power really makes it easier to ride.

Optik

Mod Ban
Dec 27, 2001
Thanks for the help.

Although the ktm does sound tempting I just dont think I'm big enough and have enough experience to handle it well enough.

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Originally posted by ScottKDX
calling the KTM a KDX300 is a bit of a stretch, but i would agree with calling it a KDX with the best components...that's fair.

ScottKDX,

I was saying the GG300 to me was like a KDX300 (because of the similar ergos, and trackable power ...) I was not comparing the KTM and KDX , that is like comparing green apples and pumpkins. ;)

WoodChuck

Buddy

Aug 14, 2001
EXC300/KDX

Fred T. Nailed it. Having just got off my new EXC- 5-10, 190lbs..... It flys. More power than I really need. Even with upper body strenght its a hand full.
My sone rides a KDX220. Very usable power. Starts ALWAYS>

Fred, Can I change my fly wheel to mellow out the power HIT?

ziggypop

Apr 24, 2001
Wrong Question?

How about an EXC 250 instead of a 300. Very friendly power, no brutal hit, just smooth power but twist it all the way and she rips. I got one a few weeks ago coming off a KDX200, I can't imagine needing more power especialy in the woods. I am 5' 10" 213 pounds b rider and this puppy is perfect for me. Very forgiving in the nasty stuff and wheel popping power is always on tap. I do get more tired than on the KDX but I am going faster so I think it's a fair trade off.

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
You can adjust the power on the 250 or 300exc by jetting and power valve settings. The power valve setting is easy. All it takes is a screw driver and you can do it while the bike is running. Different needles and jets can make a big difference in power delivery too. The motor in my 300exc is electric smooth until you get up on the pipe then it takes off strong. It never hits too hard or when unexpected.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
How much power is enough? I have the kdx 220 with a few mods done now, and it does everything I can do (HS, trail etc.) with power in reserve. I sure don't want to talk anyone out of their exc or out of purchasing one either. More of a ford or chevy issue I think. Hope I did not offend anyone, sure not my intentions.
Solidarity
Lew

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I just sold a KDX in favor of a new KTM MXC 250. with the KDX the issue (for me) wasnt necessarily the motor, it was everything else. (suspension, handling, ergos, frame width etc.) I loved the tractor effect the KDX motor had but that was about it, the suspension never felt right to me, even after having it revalved and resprung, the ergos were cramped and standing very long was uncomfortable, now with my KTM, I can stand all day long comfortably, and I feel faster since the bike likes to ridden more aggressively
and I trust the handling and suspension more. Dont get me wrong, the KDX is a GREAT trail bike, but modify it as much as you want and it wont be a KTM, or a Husaberg, or a Gas Gas... these bikes simply start out with far superior suspension products. Have you ever cruised the highway in a caddy? or ran the tight and twisties in a high performance sports car? Once you are spoiled... your spoiled forever.;)

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Re: EXC300/KDX

Originally posted by Buddy
Fred T. Nailed it. Having just got off my new EXC- 5-10, 190lbs..... It flys. More power than I really need. Even with upper body strenght its a hand full.
My sone rides a KDX220. Very usable power. Starts ALWAYS>

Fred, Can I change my fly wheel to mellow out the power HIT?

My friend has a steely fly wheel weight on his, his username is fatherandson. PM him ofr information on that.

Top Bottom