Fine Tuning the 426 For TT111 (B32).

B

biglou

Went riding today for the first time with Phillips TT111 (aka: B32) in the tank. First off, I have to say that it was so freaking hot that a couple of old men-Al and I-had no business being out there. I rode three five-lap motos. Starting specs: 38 pilot jet, pilot screw 1-1/4 out, needle is in the factory position. Temp, probably 92 degrees with about 40% RH. Here's how it went:

1st moto-Bike started after 3 kicks (cold). I noticed that when lugging a taller gear through a corner, it would blubber a bit. Also notice a slight stumble when reving it in neutral. Came in after two laps, and ran the screw in to 3/4 out. Went back out and found no appreciable difference.

2nd moto-Bike didn't want to start. I probably kicked it 25 times total, with and without hot start, and with and without choke. Tried "Cleaning it out" several times (kicking it over with hot start and comp release pulled. Finally, for no particular reason, she fired. Hot start was out. Rode my five laps, came back in and collapsed again.

3rd moto-Bike started first kick (?). Surprised, I put my helmet on and went out for my final laps of the day. Temp reading in the truck afterward was 102, and the truck is pretty accurate relative to all the bank thermometers and radio temps. The odd thing here is, after moto2 I said to Al, "So much for trying to restart during a race should I stall it." Well, last turn before the finish line jump, I killed it. Coasted off to the side, cleaned it out for GP, pulled the hot start, one kick and she fired right up. Sorta contradictary to it not wanting to start for moto number 2, I thought.

My questions are these-Drop the needle? Drop the pilot to 36? (I don't have a 36 on hand, 38 was the smallest available at the shop last week) How far in can I run the pilot screw? I've somehow got it in my head that 1-2 1/2 is the "normal" operating range.

It is hot here, and next race is this coming Saturday and the temp is looking like mid to upper 90's again. I have a spreadsheet with basic pilot, main and needle clip position infor based on temp and altitude. I don't remember where I got it, but it is calling for 154.9 (155) main, 3.1 (3rd) clip position from top, and 40.2 pilot. Sounds reasonable to me except for the TT111 tending to lean things out relative to pump fuel-which I'm assuming this spreadsheet is based on.

To date, running only Amoco premium, my only changes have been bumping the pilot up and down for temp changes and for the Big Gun pipe addition, with slight pilot screw tweaks here and there. How much does the needle position affect off-idle performance? Feel free to throw suggestions out or make jetting, etc. recommendations.

Right now, I'm thinking things are a bit rich. I think I'll pull the needle and set it to 3rd from the top and see how it performs off idle. The only wrench in that machine is the temps are supposed to drop to about 80 or even the upper 70's for a couple days here, so my only alternative is to sweat it out in the garage and get it done!

Thanks in advance for any info.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Lou: ive got a couple of needles from a 02rm125 if you want to use them :silly: :)

i know how you feel about hot, it was the same at glen helen, yet it was knee deep deep mud all the way around!

have fun with the changes, it must be a real pain though since its difficult to try so many different things when the limiting factor is getting the damn thing started....good luck mate!:)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Lou - B32 will defintely make it run richer. A full step in all the circuits can be common depending on the makeup of you pump gas. Once you get it setup correctly with B32 for approx 55-70 temps you should be able to switch straight to B35 (or something like Ultimate 4) when the temps get up in the 90s with no other changes other than a tweak of the fuel screw.

We put the Ty Davis long fuel screw in Okie's bike and it works GREAT.

BTW, we have his running on B35 and it's a one kick starter for the most part. What's interesting is Okie had 8 month old B35 sittting in the tank when we first lit the engine up after the all the mods. It took a half-dozen kicks to get fuel through the system but it lit up pretty easily. After that it lit first kick even with the old junky fuel in it. :eek:

Last edited:

rairden

Jun 3, 2003
Big Lou, I noticed you are from KC. I live in Lee's Summit. You know where that is don't you. Only 15 miles away.

I was wondering what tracks you ride at and what are your favorites.
I just started riding 2-3 months ago and was wanting to go ride at a track sometime. I was wondering if the track in Merwin is good for beginners and is it packed all the time?

P.S. My brother has the same bike as you. An '01 YZ426 with yellow fenders and shrouds. And the one industries hurricane kit. Funny?

B

biglou

Rairden-Merwin is a great place for beginners. It's where I ride mostly around here. Kingsville is ok, but a bit advanced for me. Lots of sharp doubles, not enough open sections. Merwin is more of an outdoor type track. There is also a nice, tame woods loop and a couple of practice areas to warm up at.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
BigLou--I feel for ya' buddy. MAN, you are having jetting woes! :( I wish I had something intelligent to say about this. A few questions, though...

What's stock needle position for your bike (where's it now)?
Your spreadsheet seems to indicate you'd be richening all the circuits up a LOT for a 10 degree temp change. :eek: (not a question, more of a comment--nonetheless, it seems that with a switch to B32 you'd be less temp 'affected')
What main are you running now?
Could there be a 'fuel-dependent' problem with fuel screw sealing (ie, I like Rich's idea of the billet/tighter tolerance/longer Ty Davis fuel screw :worship: )?

Let's keep this open 'til 'problem solved'.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by nephron
Could there be a 'fuel-dependent' problem with fuel screw sealing (ie, I like Rich's idea of the billet/tighter tolerance/longer Ty Davis fuel screw

Whoa - stop the bus, did I miss something? The Ty Davis fuel screw has bigger threads? Not the same bike but I've lost a fuel screw on my ktm400sx (with fuel screw extension). I have thread tape on my replacement but I didn't notice any change in performance.

Is there a subliminal suggestion that tighter fuel screw tolerance makes a significant change in performance? Seems to me that all it would do is change the optimal fuel screw position a bit.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
There didn't appear to be any difference between the OEM and Zip Ty fuel screws in terms of fit, but I didn't measure it specifically. I have a couple more coming so I'll compare it to a new OEM fuel screw.

The value (as far as I can tell) of the Zip Ty screw is the ease of access which should translate to a greater willingness on the rider's part to adjust it for conditions.

Last edited:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Yeah I use the longer fuel screw from koubalink, lost the first one out riding. I put a small amount of teflon thread tape on the second one to tighten it up a bit. Haven't lost it yet :fingers crossed:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Uh, whoops--didn't take the time to investigate the screw. I guess I was thinking you (Rich) meant there was a longer shaft portion beyond the threads before the taper, since it sounded like you were implying performance was different.

MrLuckey--sorry. Didn't mean to imply a change in thread diameter... :eek:

Hey. Hope I didn't come off as some wannabe or smartass! ;) I've said it before, and I'll say it again....I'm just trying to learn.... :uh:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

Hey. Hope I didn't come off as some wannabe or smartass! ;)

You didn't Nephron. :thumb:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Definitely not Nephron, I just wasn't 100% sure what you were saying. I've had issues with those darned fuel screws and was just probing for more info. :thumb:

MrLuckey--sorry. Didn't mean to imply a change in thread diameter... :eek:

That is actually what I was hoping for, seems it could be a bit more snug to me. The thread tape seems to have helped though. :knock on wood:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
How's it going, Big Lou? Got your problem sorted out?

Hey, mind if I drop in for some riding some day? I make it to the KC area a lot, as my brother lives there and works for...you got it...like everyone else..SPRINT. I have in-laws there as well. PM your phone number, and at least we can get together for a beer, dinner, or go riding. It'd be my pleasure to bring my bike up there...no problem. Let me know.

B

biglou

OK, hate me if you must, but yesterday I was sitting there, less than an hour before time to drive to Moberly for the second round of their night MX series, and I just had a panic attack. Drained the B32, and put some Amoco back in, jetted the pilot up from the 38 to a 40, and dropped the main from a 168(yikes!) to a 155. Put the screw at 1-1/4 out. Now, before you blast me, I wanna say that the bike ran flawlessly yesterday, and I was very happy. No starting or restarting issues-I managed to kill it once during each of two practice sessions. I noticed that it was pulling strong on the main, and seemed very crisp off idle. It has so much more than I need as it is, I just don't think I want to hassle with the race fuel. It just seems to kick my but looking for that sweet spot, that I seem to have right now. There may be a little more in that 426 using race fuel, but I seriously doubt my ability to use it!

Neph-Sure thing. Check your PM's. Also, if you don't want to haul your bike, I still have the punkin for a loaner.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by BigLou
I wanna say that the bike ran flawlessly yesterday, and I was very happy.

Ultimately that IS THE POINT, so it sounds like you did the right thing. ;)

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Yeah, don't worry about it, Lou. It's OK...it's OK....(Jack, in a tone similar to when Sophie gets a boo-boo.).

An idea: Bring it to DW--and just let Rich FIX IT. :laugh:

I wish I could plan for DW--for work reasons, I doubt I'll ever be able to make a planned trip out of town without calling in a locum tenens...and my clinic doesn't want me to do it.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
how far is Little Manhattan from you guys? i lived there for a few months back in 96 when i went to K-state on an exchange.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
My wife's from Manhattan.

It's about the same distance NE for me. K-State's a pretty good sciences type school for a public university.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Last time I was in Aggieville, cars were turned over and burning and some redneck in a Pioneer hat tried to kick my ass.

Top Bottom