Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
OK, I know it's still early and friggin' cold out side but I thought I'd get this topic going. How about either March 29 or April 5th as our first ride date? Location TBD based on snow depths. (We want 100% dirt-no ice or snow)

Last year we rode in early April at Leota, but ice was too prevlent so we loaded up and went to Gladwin where we were treated to nice sandy soil and a nice warm 45-50 degree day. I know Gladwin is whooped and wide enough to drive a truck through it so It'll have to be our last resort. Any ideas of a good early riding spot? West side of the state will proaably thaw out late as will the northern most ORV routes too.

Mid February gets me thinking about the dirt. Meanwhile I'll ride the snow with my spikes but can't wait fior some dirt too! :aj:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Pat
This is supposed to be our FIRST spring ride, hence no studded tires. Slap on that fresh set of dirt tires and ride. Will MikeyM/new daddy have a new (to him) KaToomer by then....??????? :aj:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Fred, don't write off the west side just yet. We get a bunch of lake effect snow - like last night, 8" or more - but it can go away quickly too. Possible west-side spots that should be ready about then- Cedar Creek (whoop-fest though), White Cloud. I'd add Horshoe Lake, but don't know about its status as far as being open for riding yet.

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
April 5th!!!! But thats the supercross!!!!!!! march 29 doesn't sound to bad.....

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Good call, I forgot about Pontiac SX! Hmmmm...maybe it's March 29th????

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Yea, dont count out the West side you guys! Cedar Creek only got 2 thats right 2 additional inches of snow out of that storm! I just talked to a riding bud who lives in North Muskegon (owns a marina) and he said they barely got enough to plow, here in Ravenna we got 5 inches and Cedar is right between us. I think March 29 is a good one!
Maybe Tin Cup will be ready by then........
Woodsy
Anybody doing the Snowy Chicken?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Where and when is the Snowy Chicken? I might if it's not these next 2 weekends. (I'm booked and it's NOT riding!!!) :think:

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Originally posted by Fred T
I might if it's not these next 2 weekends. (I'm booked and it's NOT riding!!!) :think: [/B]

He has tons of interviews to go to and photo shoots with his bike and Ponderosa. :confused:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Fred,

Is CRB still traveling quite a bit with his job?  Maybe he could be a "scout" for us in March and find some areas where the snow has melted.

Mike

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
That Snowy Chicken is usually in the middle of March and is run out of Peacock LTD. Its a blast! I will have to call up there and find out exact date unless someone knows?
Leave the screws/studs in though cause we usually take in the whole Manistee loop (last year my bud and I did Tin Cup afterwards at 1am) and there is usually plenty of snow and ice......
Better safe then sorry.
Gladwin has NO snow NOW? REALLY?
Woodsy

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
Yep, I was talking to Dwayne from Oakland Sports Center ( sorry LMC guys..) and he said it was nothin' bur hard packed sand.

I'd really like to know more about hte Snowy Chicken. I'll call Peacock and post the date.

rickshaw

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
The Snowy Chicken is March 15th, 9:30am start, 20 or 40 mile loop, 10 bucks and a chicken dinner to follow.

Peacock LTD says they have 3 feet.

Should we make plans????

rickshaw

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I might give that snowy chicken a try, sounds like fun. Mike, I got CRB scouting but he's off "Northern Duty" this week. I'd be skeptical about Gladwin having no snow, it's very cold and there are some shady areas that are perfect for hidden ice poatches. I'd suggest you be careful with out spikes or screws. I may try a ride somewhere on March 1-2 as thats the next time I can ride. And Mr Dixon, I am taking the wife XC skiing this weekend and working next weekend. No moto stuff at all. :(

Scott (Woodsy) give me a shout about that Snowy Chicken - several feet of snow seems a little tough but I'm sure that it will be better by mid march. I in! Is it a fun run or an enduro?

Freddy T

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
FamousFreddyT, I was told by Peacock that the Snowy Chicken is just a fun run with options for one or two loops. He ( Paul ?) said he only runs the 20 mile loop cause his too smoke can't go 40???

Let's get a crew together! I'd like to join you somewhere on the 1st or 2nd.

Be careful with that xcountry skiing thing, don't try to be too macho in front of the missus and hurt yourself!!!

rickshaw

Factory

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 19, 2002
Hey all! I was up in Gladwin on Saturday and hit the north part of the loop as well as the south part of the St. Helens loop and there was a solid foot on the trails and more in the wooded areas. There was only 6-8" when we got there Friday, but we got 6"+ on Saturday. As we all know, it can melt quickly though. One good thing I did notice, is that since they have basically had minimal snow until recently, the corners were not icy and the snow was consistent through to the dirt - no cruncy crap! LOL! I hope spring comes early!

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Got back from the XC skiing trip today. At about West branch the snow starts piling up but even in Lewiston there is maybe 14-16 inches max. In Gladwin they may have 2-3 inches of snow viewing it while passing by on I-75

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
So Freddy, I gotta hand it to ya for the xc skiing trip this weekend.

Quality time with the missus and cross training all at the same time, talk about killin two birds with one stone..... ;)

What other cross training activities do you have goin???

rickshaw

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
yeah, I think that is a great thing to do this weekend, thanks! Hey what about having the first trail ride more towards rose city or something, maybe less snow? Just a suggestion. There are fast trails in Mio, I go to mack lake campground usually. Bull Gap is also there, now that sounds crazy...

Top Bottom