stimps

Jun 25, 2003
After months of messing with this pipe I have finally decided it is actually complete junk on my Bike. I put it on my 2000' YZ250 which is ported,boyesen reeds, carb mods etc,etc. First thing i noticed was that it would detonate a lot. raised needle, changed main from 180 to 185 and used octane boost.Helped but would still detonate and required a lot of clutch work. This weekend just for a test I put all the jetting back to what it was and used a Doma pipe. The bike is now awesome, pulls right of the bottom and has a top end that will leave the old set-up for dead. Have'nt even tweaked the jetting any further and it absolutley hauls.
It's starting to make sence why they don't make a factory version of this pipe(SST), funny how the only factory version is based on the fatty without the extra little chamber. You also never seem to see these on any true factory bikes(except for strokes). Thumbs up to Doma racing and Ebay who will be displaying my FMF in the near future. Don't believe the Hype.......

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
thats funny, i have the SST on my yz250- its ported etc etc and the bike has loads of top- and i was running a 170 main, leanest clip and 42 pilot with 32:1 fuel and it never pinged! it actually sppoged a bit, even with leaned floats!

its an odd world indeed, but yes, i wouldnt put the SST on a 125 from what ive read they like to ping and my 125 pings enough as it is!

stimps

Jun 25, 2003
Out of interest what sort of suspension settings are you using. The Euro settings are quite a bit stiffer. I weigh about 80kgs and use the std euro settings and the HSC turn out one full turn.

Forks Comp 12
Reb 10
Shock LSC 6
HSC 1 turn
Reb 10

Are these similar to yours. Cheers.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i bought my bike used and it had been revalved so i have no idea really- sorry. i didnt realise you were from the UK- i am in US, its interesting that the bikes in the UK need bigger jets, the fuel must be quite different maybe?

cheers

stimps

Jun 25, 2003
Mostly we ride pretty close to sea level which could be a factor. The fuel is the same as the Ultra stuff you have in the States. You can look up the relative RON/MON values on the Shell site etc. I use Super unleaded or Optimax as it is called. 40:1 castrol TTS or Silkolene oil. Originally my YZ was a Yamaha U.K British championship bike so probably was set-up to run on more exotic fuel. I'm using a 180 on the main and 2nd clip on std slide now with the Doma pipe. It might go leaner as there was no pinging during Sundays racing even without octane boost. My carb is slightly enlarged and reshaped on the inlet bell mouth so this may have an effect on the fuel signal as well. Plenty fast though.....

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom