Fork problem... What should I do?

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
I suspect that my forks are bent. Haven't taken a really good look yet b/c I think I'm scared to know for sure. I'm pretty sure they are though. My question is: should I get a new pair of KDX forks and have them tuned by a good technician or go for new KX forks. I guess that I would have to install new triple clamps in order to go with the KX forks. What about the wheel? I think I'm leaning toward new KDX forks, but who should I buy from? Is there a tuning technichian that I can buy forks from and have them tuned so that I don't have to keep shipping stuff around?

Much thanks for any help!!!

:ugg:

Groove

Jan 15, 2002
Have you considered option #3, have the current forks repaired? While working in a machine shop a few years back, I straightened a set of bent forks in no time. They worked great. A nice hydralic press can straighten a set of forks in less than an hour.

Just a thought.

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
I'm liking the sound of option 3 right now! Any suggestions as to a good place to have the work done? I wasn't sure that they could be straightened sufficiently. Actually I was worried that the metal would be slightly fatigued and could cause an unwanted health risk. I will have to have them checked for other damage at the same time. Thanks for the suggestion!

Groove

Jan 15, 2002
I would start by contacting a reputable bike suspension shop. They may advise you against it and be able to give you a reason or offer to service them. Since I did the work myself, I can't tell you what it should cost. Mine were notiably bent about 1/2 inch. I myself would not be concerned about fatigue of the metal. I assume you took a large hit to bend it. If you plan on doing it again, you may consider a larger diameter fork. But hey, if a shop charges you $40-50 to straighten a set of forks, it could save you a bundle. Ask around for a shop that has a press and a dial indicator and someone smart enough to know how to use them. It's easy enough to do.

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
Bent the forks in my KZ750 years ago. Took 'em to the shop and they fixed 'em up quick. Don't recall the cost but it was fairly cheap and I brought the whole assembly. Worth the investigation either way. Good luck

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Straighten forks all the time. Larger thin wall ones get hard as they like to deform & crease but always worth a try.

Check the axle by rolling it on something flat.

Put the axle back in without the wheel & loosen one fork leg. Twist the fork leg if you can. If the slider walks left to right along the axle then it is bent. Repeat for other side.

It’s pretty common to bend the forks in a decent crash. Most people just try to force them back into line twisting them in the triple clamps, but do you really want your forks binding?

If they are bent most bike shops can straighten them with a press & a careful operator. You can save yourself a few dollars taking the forks apart.

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
Thanks for the advice guys. Here is the deal. I checked them a little more closely last night and they are bent beyond belief. The last time I rode they bent even more than I thought. I just replaced the axle which was bent about 8 degrees! I think they are cooked. Not only does the metal seem fatigued, but I'm pretty sure the fork assembly is all screwed up inside also. I could get new tubes, but I was quoted $265 per leg (OEM)! For just a few more dollars I can get a whole new setup! Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet. Thanks for the advice!

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Sage .. Did you ever sell your forks? .. You out there?

Sage put a full on KX front end on his KDX and had his OEM forks for sell. You might want to give him a call also http://www.sagesdirtandstreet.com/ If he already sold his I am sure he would be glad to get you the parts to fix yours also.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom